23 October, 2006

Pedaling hard

It is as the title suggests, but only in a figurative sense of being very busy (without, some might argue, getting anywhere fast). In fact, I haven't been on the bike for over a week.

While the blogging and biking world passes me by, I've been feverishing picking up the slack left at work since four of my fellow cube dwellers recently got sacked. At home, I've been almost as feverishly ("Hmm. You're a little warm...") working on putting together a reasonably bulletproof Dreamweaver template for Turtle's side business. As a consequence of the latter, I've finally spent the time to really understand the CSS box model and—more to the point—the mis-implementation of it by various versions of Internet Explorer.

I took the time to attend an 80th birthday party with Turtle this past weekend (when I usually would have been riding my bike), but aside from that I've been a very non-social holed-up-in-my-office little W3C nerd.

6 comments:

Lance Notstrong said...

I haven't been on my bike since Bonham!!!

Anonymous said...

And all your help and coding is very much appreciated. :) Thanks honey.

Anne said...

I figured you had been busy hanging a ceiling fan. :)

Foo said...

Lance: a) Shame on you. b) Glad to know it's not just me.

Susie: Some winters are colder than others, but yes—I usually am able to ride at least part of the time through the winter. Year before last, when I first got my Trek road bike (pre-recumbent days), I was out riding on New Year's Day and it was 63 degrees. Insane.

Regarding Turtle's web site, I'm only working on a Dreamweaver template, right now. We're still not quite happy with the navigation stuff yet, and Turtle's been making noises about feeling like the colors are too muted, so we may be going back and reworking the style sheet and graphics before anything ever goes live. After that, of course, I'm sure Turtle would be thrilled for everyone to come visit her site.

Is it wrong that I'm a little conflicted about that? I mean, if I direct everyone to her site, then you'll all know who she is, and once you know who she is, my privacy is blown and I'm actually paranoid enough to consider shutting down my blog to keep future potential employers from tracking me down and denying me employment based on the weirdness there. I mean, I could blog under my real name, but it would be pretty boring because I couldn't comment on anything other than the weather.

Anne: No, I think I'm finished with the ceiling fans for the time being. Praise the Lord.

Anonymous said...

Susie: Believe it or not, employers are not hiring people because of things posted online. Not that I've said anything to incriminate myself or even gotten a job yet, but it does happen. Blogs, posts and anything that appears online can haunt you long after you've posted it. Better to be cautious and conservative then beg the gods forgiveness.

If anyone is truly interested in my site, when it is finished I can email people individually, perhaps. I'll have to ask hubby for his blessing. It's a business site, so maybe he'll be lenient.

Jenn said...

Very cool on the design front.

I would love to stop in and say Hi to Turtle's new site, too. And since I'm not quite ready to hire either of you I believe you are safe.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...