08 October, 2006

Ride Report: Autumn In Bonham (Bonham, TX)

I didn't do the Autumn in Bonham ride last year, because of some sort of schedule conflict. This year, I wasn't planning on it just because I felt I'd maxed out my 2006 entry fee budget. However, word on the street is that it's a really nice ride, and I felt an obligation to take a crack at the Leonard Leviathans—three very large (for Texas) hills—after missing them during the Cotton Patch Classic, so I signed up anyway.

The drive up ended up taking less time than I expected, so I parked up close, picked up my ride number and t-shirt (my second favorite design of this season, by the way), and set about unloading and assembling my bike. The guy parked next to me turned out to be Blanca from over on BikeJournal.com, so we chatted with each other for a while and then with various other acquaintances as they arrived.

It continues to amaze me that I go to these rallies with hundreds of other riders and always seem to run into at least a dozen people I know (including Lance, Lance's son, Allez, and Allez's husband). I think that's kind of neat.

Shortly before 9 am, everyone lined up and we got under way. I started off riding with John, local legend and webmaster of the popular bicycle-stuff.com, but we got separated early, at an intersection where a police officer had his SUV parked right in the middle of the intersection and gave confusing instructions about which groups were supposed to go which way. I went left; John went straight, never to be seen (by me) again.

Almost immediately, we came to a long climb. And then another. And another. Cool, I thought. We're getting this all out of the way early, while our legs are still fresh.

But they kept coming... and coming... and by my first stop at the second rest stop, my quads were already grousing at me. I'd maintained a 16.3 mph average to that point, but I knew that I was going to have to back off my assaults on the climbs if I was going to survive the rest of the 64-mile route (which, in typical bike rally fashion, was actually .1 mile short of 67 miles).

While I was eating a banana and chatting up one of the grandmotherly volunteers, a couple of those acquaintances I mentioned before rolled up at the rest stop: Steve (who rides a fire engine red Bacchetta Café recumbent) and Peggy (who looks and sounds enough like our blog buddy, Allez, that they could be sisters) from Frisco. Knowing that I ride a more sane pace when socializing, I joined up with them and their friend for the rest of the hilly, energy-sucking-chip-seal-plagued, beautiful-scenery-having ride.

This was one of those routes that really made me wish that my digital camera weren't quite so bulky. There were surreal fields of some sort of golden-flowered weed clumps. There were barns and cows. There were interesting little near-ghost towns that just begged to have their weathered facades and peeling columns photographed. Everywhere we went, people smiled, yelled, and waved from porches and front yards.

I was impressed, overall, with how the drivers in the area didn't feel compelled to threaten us with their vehicles. In fact, the only close calls I had all day were near Leonard. In one case, I had come to a full stop at a four way intersection and awaited my turn to go. As I did, the elderly woman in the PT Cruiser decided she wanted to go. So I stopped. She waved for me to go, and as I did, she started to pull out again. So I stopped. She waved me on. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The other was a police officer, who came within a foot of clipping me with his passenger side mirror as I balanced precariously on the white line along one of the few stretches of road that didn't have a nice, wide shoulder to retreat to. At the next rest stop, I mentioned this to one of the volunteers. When I described the guy to her, she told me that this was "the Leonard cop", that he was a jerk, and that he'd been buzzing the rally participants all day.

Way to serve and protect, Barney.

Finally, we came to the Leviathans, and I remembered what I'd been told by others who had ridden them. The first two were steep but made manageable by the fact that they were prefaced by nice descents. When I saw the big hills ahead, I shifted to the biggest gear I had and gave gravity a hand. I reminded myself not to overdo it on the way down because I'd need my quads and hamstrings for the climb, but I needn't have bothered. At 37 mph, I spun out (i.e., ran out of top end gears) and had to coast until I reached the point of resistance on the climb.

Two down, no problem.

But the third hill... that one was every bit as nasty as I'd heard. It wasn't preceded by as much of a downhill, leeched away all your momentum, and then got steeper as it turned. And all on that momentum-robbing chip seal. When I was already into my small ring by the halfway point, I knew I was in trouble, but I kept churning away. Two thirds of the way up, I'd run out of gears on the low end. With my mucles wrung out by all the day's previous climbs, I could no longer spin and was reduced to mashing on the pedals. Twenty yards from the top, I was down to about 5 mph and nearing my stall speed—you can't really track stand a recumbent—but my guts were telling my brain to tell my legs that we were almost there and to stop being such wussies.

That's when my right quad flew all of us the bird and threw a cramp.

Rather than risk the embarrassment of falling over or the embarrassment of tearing something and having to ride the SAG wagon (although, now that I think of it, I can't recall seeing one all day), I put my feet down and walked the short distance to the top. Meanwhile, Steve veered around me and cleared the top. I could attribute his success to slightly lower gearing or to slightly wider tires that roll better on the chip seal. I may have used up too much of my legs earlier in the ride, or it may go back to the hammerfest I did with a couple friends after work, two days earlier. The bottom line is that I didn't beat the hill, and that's a bitter pill for me to swallow.

The rest of the ride was no sweat. Once it had made its point, my right quad behaved itself. We had an enjoyable, uneventful ride back to the starting point, where we discovered that most of the cars were gone and the organizers had pretty much folded up their tent. We must have dawdled at a couple rest stops longer than I'd realized, because even with all the climbing I still ended the day with a 16 mph rolling average.

Bonham was certainly one of the most challenging rides I've done this season, but I enjoyed the route, the scenery, and the company. I'm just thinking maybe I need to find a leg press to work out on before I consider going back for seconds.

15 comments:

Lance Notstrong said...

Yeah Foo, it's that 3rd hill that gets you. The first two are like roller coasters but the last one gives you no ramp and just when you think it's over, it turns and kicks up even more.

Good report, it was nice to see you again :-)

Gwynne said...

Okay, now, could you translate that into Monty Python/King James English for the rest of us? ;-)

Foo said...

Gwynne: "I'll 'ave yer other leg!"

Aaaand... I'm spent.

Allez said...

Those big hills put some fear in me! Bonham was more hilly than Greenville. I don't think I could have made it up that last one at this rally. I'm with Lance, it was nice seeing you again. You're never intruding, you can stick around anytime! We like company.

Foo said...

Allez: Thanks for that. I knew that you guys beat the hills okay at the CPC, so it has really been giving me a complex that I wasn't able to finish off that last one, Saturday. So much so that I've been rethinking my plans to try for my first century this coming weekend. My internal monologue has been going something like this:

"Nice going, bonehead. You thought you were kicking some hills' butts even on the recumbent, but you suck. Allez and Lance made it; how come you blew up? Huh? 'Cause you're a wuss, that's why. What if there are some hills on the century ride? What are you gonna do then... wussie boy?"

Not productive. I was even considering rasing my seat to a more upright angle (which Turtle has been trying to get me to do anyway; I don't know why), because some say that's better for hill climbing. Maybe I'll give it a few days and see how I feel when I'm not walking like Walter Brennan.

Anonymous said...

Lance & Allez: Foo's problem is he doesn't hold back and spread out his energy to match the long haul. God bless him! He's an all or nothing sportsman. I have to remind him not to push so hard. In the future, give him heck and make him hold back a bit in the beginning of the ride. You can just say "Turtle said so!"

He loves riding with you all and sharing his "ride reports" with me when he comes home. Thanks for keeping him company.

da weef

Tink said...

YIKES. Just thinking of all those miles makes my legs cramp. *Snort* I wrote "crap" by accident. That would have made for an interesting visual.

That "Barney" needs to be reported. His ego (and vehicle) could do some serious damage. Jerk.

Foo said...

Turtle: Now, Sweetheart... don't go telling all my personality flaws.*

Tink: Normally, I'd offer some mild demurral about how that's not really such a long distance. However, in this case I have to come clean. My perception—and Lance Notstrong, Allez, or rcarlino can either back me up or contradict—was that only somewhere between 1/4 and 2/3 of the route was relatively flat. I felt like I was climbing all freakin' day long, and that... malarky... just grinds me down. I've felt more whipped over shorter distances, but the Bonham ride wasn't anything like the Tour de Paris cake walk.

And yet... I live for this stuff. [smirk]


* As if there were time, bandwidth, and disk space enough to make the attempt.

Allez said...

Paris is FLAT! Any ride is harder than that one!!!

I like to attack the hills too, and I end up paying for it later. 2 things held us back this time... Lance's son and the fact that I had to run 10 miles the next day. Otherwise its the "no pain no gain" mentality for me! :-)

Have you ever ridden Beauty and the Beast, Foo?

Anonymous said...

Foo, nice writeup of the Autumn in Bonham ride. I always enjoy reading your ride reports. Yes, saying that only 1/4 of the course was flat is being kind. I'd be surprised if even that much of it was flat. That was indeed a challenging route, and it started right out of the gate with hills and chip-seal. Didn't even get dinner and movie first, just right into...well, you get the picture. I made it over the "infamous" Leonard hills, to include the last one which I think was the asphalt equivalent of an exponential equation. Had to shift to the granny gear in front and the lowest gear in back to get over that one. Kept looking behind me to see if someone had surreptitiously tied a boat anchor to my chainstays, but found no evidence of such.

I hope you still plan to do the PBA Fall Century ride this weekend. It's been awhile since I've ridden a century, but I did the 75-mile Collin Classic back in June in 97 degree weather and felt fine afterwards.

Is there such a thing as 100 miles downhill?

Lou said...

Sounds like you did well, my friend. Thanks for sharing the experience.
And Turtle - I hope you had lots of hugs and TLC for him when he was done

Bret said...

Is there such a thing as 100 miles downhill?

The San Antonio to Corpus MS150 is mostly downhill (some ups and downs, of course, but the overall net is comfortably downhill.

However, I've spoken with a riding friend who has done it, and he said that the wind pretty much negates that advantage the whole ride, since it's typically blowing in your face the whole way.

And Foo -- you call it the granny ring, I call it the circle of mercy.

Lance Notstrong said...

Foo, I wouldn't worry about it. You're a strong rider; Bonham was just unrelenting all day long!!! If CPC had those kind of hills to soften us up before we got to Leonard, Allez and I may not have faired as well either.

Allez's right, the TDP is more or less flat. But this year it was the hottest damn ride I've ever done!!! 108 at the finish.

Anne said...

Ride Sally Ride.

kanga said...

I loved how friendly everyone was on this ride, and every ride report I've read ends with basically the same comment about how tiring it was. Those roads were a real bugger.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...