12 November, 2006

Awkward years

Over at Hubbadoo, Anne has thrown down the gauntlet with her Awkward Days post, in which she challenges those most likely to wear a pocket protector to publicly out themselves. The prize? The dubious honor of the King Dork crown.

Okay, I threw in that last bit on my own—primarily because, putting aside the fact that mine were awkward decades, I'm about the closest thing you'll ever see to a shoo in.

In her picture, Anne was in 5th grade. I was in 6th grade at the time this was taken and looked two years younger. Contrary to any impression you might have based on the highwaters, I would not hit my underachieving growth spurt for another three years.

And when I did, I was still a dork. At least the girl I had a crush on tipped me off to the fact that the mere existence of a top button didn't mandate its use. I can still remember her mocking laughter, but the lesson was helpful never the less.

C'est la vie. We can't all be tall or cool or pretty, and yet... there are still surprises.

Many years too late for it to have helped my self esteem, I gained an interesting insight during a phone conversation with my next-youngest sibling. She still lives in the town where I suffered through adolescence, and she works with some of the people with whom I attended high school. She'd been talking with Vince (not his real name), a football letterman who was a class or two ahead of me, and he said to pass along his regards.

"That Foo... he was pretty cool," Vince told her. "I remember he always seemed like he really had it all together."

I couldn't recall ever having had a single conversation with the guy. He was tall, athletic, had a blinding smile, and usually had a couple cheerleaders swooning along beside him. If anyone had asked, I would been positive this was a guy who had no idea we walked the same halls every day. And I would have been wrong.

We're all Losers; we're all Cool. You just have to ask the right person.

10 comments:

Gwynne said...

ROTF! :-) Those are classic. And very cool! Were you a member of the chess club? I also remember the first time someone told me that I didn't have to button the top button if I didn't want to, but it took some time to warm up to the idea. ;-)

Allez said...

You've very cool, Foo :-)

Foo said...

Gwynne: No chess club for me. However, now that you mention it I recall some level of participation in the Science Club that year.

Allez: It's not nice to mock your elders. ;)

Susie: Think about it. If you were wearing a shirt and pants both patterned in clashing stripes; eyeglasses that had been glued and reglued with epoxy cement after unfortunate dodgeball incidents; calf-high highwaters; and Those Shoes—wouldn't you wear the pained expression to go with it?

I've always hated having my photograph taken. Still do.

Tink said...

I thought this picture was a spoof at first. Like, "How much did you have to pay the neighbor kid to dress up like that. Which would be weird by the way. But that's how my brain works. And then I realized, there's no way you can find clothes like that anymore. That MUST be Foo. What a charmer. Those thick black glasses? SEXY. I think I'm going to buy Hoop a pair for Christmas.

Foo said...

Tink: It's worse than that. Those glasses were tortoiseshell, not black.

And you thought "You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny" was just a slogan on a t-shirt...

Anne said...

Okay, I'm a little late getting here to comment. BUT... You're Killing Me!!! I love the pointed tipped collar.

HubbaDood wants to button that top button all the time as well.

Lou said...

That picture brought me back to my younger days, Foo. I also had a pocket protector during middle and high school.

Gwynne said...

Wait! You played dodgeball like that? Priceless. ;-)

Foo said...

Anne: Now hold up just a sec. You can't dock me for the pointy collars. That was the way shirts were being made and had nothing to do with my dorkiness.

Lou: Now that you mention it, I may have dabbled with a pocket protector, but I'm sure it didn't 'take'. There just wasn't enough room in a pocket protector for all the various pens, pencils, and protractors I felt compelled to cart around. I had a big honkin' pencil case.

An anecdote that ties this together with my 6th grade year and our parallel discussion about dialects: That was the first year after we had moved to Kentucky, which meant that on the first day of 6th grade I had only had about a month to get used to the Southern twang. As I sat at my desk with my purse-sized pencil case, filling out the usual first-day-of-school forms (did any of us really know our dad's work phone number or that of our family doctor?), the little girl at the next desk spoke.

"Could ah borry a pin?" she politely asked.

"I'm sorry," I said. "A what?"

"A pin," she repeated, as though to a piece of wood. "Kin ah borry a pin?"

"A pin?"

"Yeah, a pin."

We traveled a couple thousand miles around the earth's axis while my brain feverishly tried to make some sense of what this cute little blonde girl was asking me. Ultimately, it failed.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I don't have any pins."

"Yes you do," she said, now infuriated. "Y'all got a whole bag full of 'em, ah reckon."

"What... pins? Why would I have pins in my pencil case? All I have are pencils and pe--"

I blushed.

"Oh. You mean a pen, right?"

"Yeah," she muttered, certain I was mocking her. "An aynk pin, so ah kin fill out this here paper."

I sheepishly handed her a brand new BIC. What in God's name kind of place had I landed in, where Es were Is and Is were As? Most perturbatory.

And I did terribly on my spelling tests, that first year.

Gwynne: No, we played in white t-shirts and gym shorts. You don't even want to go there.

Gwynne said...

Oh, right. I forgot about the gym outfits, the ones that we kept in our locker all year without washing. The shorts too short and made of stretchy....oh, wait a minute...about those bike shorts you wear...

*sheepishly leaving the room* ;-)

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...