03 December, 2007

Monday update

I'd apologize for the lack of original postings here, but I don't want to sound like a stuck record. I could post about my confusion and frustration over the way in which things are being managed (or more to the point, not being managed) since my company was purchased earlier this year – but I won't. I'm pretty sure the only people who aren't in exactly the same boat are those who work for themselves.

No bike riding for the past three weeks. Worse, I'm not feeling very motivated to do anything to change that. The good news is that, after my cardiologist appointment this past week, I'm cleared to ride. I just have to get out from under the laptop and do it.

Turtle and I did roll up our sleeves and put up our Christmas decorations, this past weekend. As a token of my affection, I stoically set about shuttling boxes out of the space above the garage, spent an hour or so debugging and untangling strands of lights, and then a couple more hours putting it all together. But as usual, I had to admit it looked nice, once it was all up and I was able to kick back with a beer, a couple Advil, and a Darvocet.

Also this past week, Turtle orchestrated the process of having most of our carpeting and all the tile floors cleaned. We're hoping that this will allow my father-in-law to spend at least a little time inside the house, when Turtle's family joins us for Christmas. Pop's deathly allergic to our furry dependents, so he and I spent a lot of time hanging out in the garage with a space heater, last time he and Mom came for a visit. It's not too bad, as garages go, but it would be nicer to be inside.

Then again, no one tries to talk us into playing board games when we're in the garage...

6 comments:

Avery Gray said...

What is it about board games that men find so offensive? I'm crazy for them, but my husband would rather chew off his own foot than play. Unless it's Pictionary. We're both quite good at that.

I hope you and your dad can enjoy some wonderful time indoors this year. And, if not, perhaps next year you can put an air hockey table out in the garage. I've got one I'll sell to ya cheap!

Eric Siegmund said...

...the way in which things are being managed (or more to the point, not being managed)... I'm pretty sure the only people who aren't in exactly the same boat are those who work for themselves.

Excuse me while I adjourn to clean up my keyboard after spewing liquid refreshment all over it while reading that passage.

At least you can occasionally get away from the guy who's responsible for the mess you're in.

Jenn said...

bored games? oh, board games. :) Mr. Coffee and I love to play mancala. It's great fun.

Yay for riding clearance and Christmas lights.

This post reminds me, time to clean my carpets. At least you don't have juice dribbles to contend with. My carpets are so overdue for cleaning.

Is this the most boring comment ever?

Lance Notstrong said...

Beer and darvocet? I would be passed out for days!!!

That Janie Girl said...

Tile. Helps a lot. Vacuums easily.

MLH. Hates. Tile.

Sorry things are sucking at work.

Anne said...

We have a cat issue. I had a cat for ten years and had to get rid of her because the new son was allergic and broke out in hives when she got near him. We had him tested and confirmed it - huge allergy. My mom has slowly migrated her cats outdoors and cleaned the house enough that it's not too bad when we go over there but I really hated dosing my son up with antihistamines every time we visited my mom. He would get hives all around his eyes and go into major sneezing attacks shooting snot everywhere (sorry for the graphics).

Hey - how come you don't come visit anymore?

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...