31 January, 2006

King Mullethead

All right, you bunch of posers. Look upon the king of all bad mullets. What do I win?

Joe Dirt's long lost brother
In my defense, this was around '93. I had spent a good deal of the late '80s working for a company that had a very strict dress code, and I grew the hair when I changed jobs just because I could.

It's out of my system.

P.S.

Amazing. All I have to do is post a picture of myself looking goofy, and everyone comes out of the woodwork. From the number and nature of some of your comments I get the feeling that further explanation is required.

Bret probably hit the nail on the head when he suggested this 'do was a result of my love for the prog-rock band Kansas. I don't think I was consciously trying to emulate anyone specifically (has Phil Eheart had hair plugs, do you think?), but I've always loved music. Rock music. A lot of it Progressive Rock like that produced by bands like ELP, Yes, Marillion, and Kansas.

Of course it's reasonably painful to look back at the '80s and see the clothes and the hair styles we wore, but that's what was cool back then. Unfortunately, as I said, my employer at that time wouldn't have any of it so I may have been just a bit late for the party when I started growing my hair in 1990.

I played a lot of air guitar/air microphone, back in the day when I had my own apartment and no one except the neighbors to object if I gave my Klipsch KG-4s a workout. The long hair was something I always identified with rockers, so it was probably natural for a nerd with insufficient vocal range and no aptitude for the guitar to try a shortcut to coolness.

I wore an earring, too. Left ear, for those who keep up with such things.

Anne notes that I looked proud of the mullet in the picture above. Maybe, but I'd never heard it described as a mullet at that time, much less in a derogatory tone. My expression was intended as one of seriousness and cool, not pride of coiffure. I had just started dating a woman (pre-Sweetie) who wanted a photograph of me, so I set up the camera on a tripod and did this self portrait.

She dug the hair, by the way, which may go part of the way toward explaining why that relationship was a bad idea. I firmly believe that having to live through that one was God's way of preparing me so that I'd recognize that Sweetie was The One, when she came along.

But that's a whole 'nother story.

I used to wear my hair in a ponytail a lot of the time, but did I ever braid it? Yes, once. When I decided I was tired of fooling with all that hair and that all the gray in it went counter to the bad boy image I was trying to achieve, I went to my stylist and asked her to cut it off. She had always liked my hair, because of all the natural wave, and decided she had to braid it before chopping it off.

Nearly 10 years later, I'm still trying to find a use for the thing. Maybe a chain pull for a ceiling fan.

14 comments:

Lou said...

Nice hair buddy!

Jenn said...

that is a thing of beauty......

can I post it with the others, with link of course.

Suzy-Q said...

Foo, you are the KING!! We bow in the presence of such a great mullet. Enjoy your prize. I hope it's snickerdoodles!

Bret said...

That explains the love of Kansas.

http://www2.ljworld.com/photos/2002/jul/05/29383/

Seriously, it's really a dead ringer for Steve Walsh, circa Monolith:

http://www.lyricsvault.net/halloffame/kansas.jpg

Anne said...

That is sooooo funny! You appear to be so proud in that picture. Did you ever braid it?

Anne said...

I am laughing so hard!! Maybe you could use it for a key chain.

Anne said...

What about that shade on your chin?

Foo said...

Anne: the shade was the beginnings of a beard. Another bad idea that fortunately didn't last as long as the mullet. I've had really bad skin since I was 15, and I guess most of the good follicles are dead.

I looked like a Klingon from the original Star Trek series, except without the horseshoe crab on my forehead.

Susie: the braid's only about 6" long.

Jenn said...

You could donate it to a wig company. Or attach it to the back of a baseball cap. Have you ever seen "the ponytail cap?" You could make your own.

Bill said...

You need to email me because I tagged you for a meme. Your hit counter should be rocketing.

bill.farrell at gmail.com

Besides, how can I buy you a beer the next time I'm in Allen if I can't email you? HUH?

bill

Bill said...

I hope you weren't in Texas with hair like that. There's a law, you know.

p.s. The Smithsonian would be interested in the braid.

Foo said...

Bah. I figured if it was good enough for Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill, it was good enough for me.

leadfoot said...

Hey Foo, old buddy. Beth still says you looked great with the pony tail. Of course, she never saw it spread out in all its glory...

Give my love to Sweetie!

Foo said...

Ah, sweet Beth. I know she always said she liked my shaggy mane—but then I've always suspected that this demure mother of your children secretly has some racy tattoos...

After finding your comment, I raced right out to have a look at the blog I didn't know you had, but it looks like you've either deleted it or made it private.

Thanks for stopping by.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...