08 June, 2008

Can't we all just get along?

A few months ago, the Norton Internet Security package that came installed on my laptop popped up a window and informed me that a free upgrade to the 2008 version was available. I figured this meant that Symantec was dropping support for the product I had installed, so I accepted and installed the 2008 upgrade.

I should have known better.

Since installing Norton Internet Security 2008, the most useful Norton program I have is the Norton Software Removal Tool – a Symantec utility that eases the surprisingly tricky task of eradicating their products from a computer. I've had to remove and re-install no fewer than six times because LiveUpdate failed and corrupted the installation. When this happens, Norton basically shuts down all access to e-mail servers, and the only way to clear the problem is to reboot. This is a hassle, since Norton Internet Security 2008 takes around 5 minutes to load.

“Why don't you just uninstall it and use something else?” you may be wondering. That's a fair question, and the answer is that I'm stupid. One of the other helpful features Symantec has implemented is an auto-renewal service that you're opted into by default when you install Norton. I forgot to log on to the Symantec site and opt out, so when I accepted the free 2008 upgrade, Symantec considerately signed me up for another year. I've been reluctant to simply flush away the $60 Norton subscription and pay another $50 for the fast, reliable ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite.

So, this morning I'm uninstalling and reinstalling Norton Internet Security 2008. Again.

To add to my frustration, I discovered this article on WindowsSecrets.com:

Norton software conflicts with Windows XP SP3

Useful information, unless one doesn't stumble upon it until after he's applied SP3 without first uninstalling Norton.

It's a little troubling that computer software has become so complicated since the halcyon days when, despite having to tweak autoexec.bat and config.sys files, I actually had some idea what was going on in my computer. And who knew that the vandalism-by-virus would become such a problem – even for those of us who don't download cracked software from questionable bulletin board systems – that despotic anti-virus software would dominate the entire system?

7 comments:

Anne said...

All I know is that I turn it on and it works. When it doesn't... I call HubbaHoney.

Foo said...

@anne: I'm generally that way too. I'm not a tinkerer, when it comes to the operating system. I prefer to leave well enough alone so I can work with other things. Unfortunately, I've had to spend an unreasonable amount of time, over the years, having to mess around with Norton products because they tend to corrupt their own installations when you upgrade. This deal with the 2008 version is "more of the same", sadly.

Unknown said...

I work with Symantec and am sorry about your frustrating upgrade experience. I'm not sure how exactly how the installation could have been corrupted by LiveUpdate, but I'd be happy to put you in touch with an executive support contact to ensure that the problem is straightened out--I can have them give you a call and work towards a solution.

Please feel free to contact me at my personal email address anytime: geohen1 [at] gmail [dot] com. All I need is a preferred method of contact to get the ball rolling.

Cheers,
George Henderson

Lou said...

Good luck getting this straightened out, Foo. I recently did an upgrade to some installed software and it has made my system slow as molasses at times. I have complained to them endlessly, but have received no response. A supposed fix to the software came in a day or so ago with no change in performance. I am not a happy camper right now.
Fortunately, I have not expereinced the same issues with McAfee or even Zone Alarm. And by the way, if you do get the money together, Zone Alarm IS a worthwhile investment.

Bee said...

If Mr Henderson is for real, that sounds like a very nice offer from Norton if they can work out their bugs.

I believe Trend Micro makes an outstanding product, as does Panda. I currently use AVG on my computer(which is free) even with them alerting me to Spybot S&D files every time I scan.

I've used McAfee Business Solutions (personally MBS is one of the best with McAfee Home Edition stinking all the way to the round file) In contrast to Norton, MBS has no yearly fees to upgrade either. However, I loved Norton's registry cleaner. Nothing better, I've found.

I hope you get your kinks ironed out. And again, avg is free off of cnet :)

Bret said...

I'm a TrendMicro fan, having abandoned Symantec/Norton a few years back when the bloat got to be a problem. The price is decent, and the performance is very good; seems to be a much smaller footprint.

Bill said...

Uh, get a Mac, dood.

Ain't got no Norton on my Mac.

Ain't got no McAfee on my Mac.

Ain't got no virus on my Mac.

Ain't got no CNTL-ALT-DEL cramp.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...