07 February, 2006

Mysteries and mayhem

I knew there was a reason I liked this Bret character (besides the whole Kansas/Dixie Dregs business).

It appears he gets almost as worked up about idiots behind the wheel as I do, and his ideas regarding punitive, post-DMV driver eduction would make him a worthy write-in gubernatorial candidate. A treasure of the state, even.

I actually contemplated thinking about possibly beginning this very post yesterday. I didn't, as I've been more occupied poking my pro bono web site project's content providers with a digital stick, hoping to note some sign of life. The panicked e-mails impressing on me the importance that we "get this done" have stopped, now that I actually have the ability to do something about them, but I keep poking in the hopes that they're "just restin'".

Shagged out from a prolonged squawk, perhaps.*

Where was I? Oh yes: idiot drivers.

Illustration the First: To Serve and Protect

On my commute to work yesterday morning, I was girding my loins for the usual post-High-Five fire drill. I could tell the horses were edgy, sensing trouble ahead, but the trouble didn't start 'til the men were in bed a white Crown Victoria came bullying its way up the righthand lane, tailgaiting so closely that several dinkier cars pulled on to the shoulder to let it by. When it came even with my hood, it decided it wanted over and just came on.

No blinker. No Texas Turn Signal.** Just half a cup of coffee's worth of my reflexes between me and some personal interaction with my auto insurance adjuster.

From there, it the proceeded directly across two more lanes of heavy traffic in the space of about 10 seconds.

Maybe I'm living in the past, but that hardly seems like appropriate behavior for a police cruiser running without lights or siren or apparent goal except to avoid having to wait in line with everyone else. I have great respect for our officers of the law and the difficult job they do, but it's this sort of thing that will make it that much tougher to feel ashamed the next time one of them pulls me over—claiming I was exceeding the speed limit in a school zone even though the lights weren't flashing—and tickets me to make quota.

Illustration the Next: Take My Car... Please!

Earlier in the drive, some clown cut in front of a car two lanes over and slammed on his brakes. The car behind managed to avoid hitting him, but my pulse quickened just a bit in empathic outrage.

Ah, I thought. The smell of road rage and testosterone in the morning.

Sure, it was just a ratty old Sentra (or something similarly battered and smoking), but this twit was acting like... like... well, like a Hummer driver.

Then he (or she) whipped back out into the lane he'd just come from and did it to another car. And then another. No hits, but not for lack of trying.

I tried to guess what this idiot was trying to do, but the only possibilities that came to mind were that he was really tired of that piece of junk, or that someone had convinced him he could strike it rich by getting some rich Plano-ite to rear end him.

Which ring did Dante reserve for aggressively stupid people? You know, the ones who would have departed the gene pool ages ago, were it not for liability avoidance stickers.

"Do not place head under mower deck while mower is in operation."

"Avoid driving drill bit into eyes or chest cavity."

Those sorts of things.

And now... the mystery

Last week, while walking from the parking garage into my office building,*** I approached a line of cabs (minivans, actually) along the curb. In the space between the front of one and the rear of the next, I could see a man on his hands and knees, forehead to the pavement. My first thought was that he was examining the undercarriage of his cab. Then I wondered if maybe he was in some distress, as he seemed to be sort of rocking.

Then, as I came alongside, I noticed that he'd taken off his work boots and placed them neatly behind him. I also noticed that he was kneeling not on the pavement but on a very nice, ornately decorated rug, and that's when it clicked.

He was praying.

I wasn't quite sure how to feel about this. On the one hand, it weirded me out, partially because this isn't something I'm used to seeing and partially because of the association Islam holds with terrorism, these days. On the other, I felt a bit deficient.

After all, when was I ever so devout that anyone might find me on my knees next to a curb at 6:30am, giving praise to my God?

Now playing: Mazzy Star, She Hangs Brightly


* Someone recently sent me a link to a South Park homage to Monty Python's "Dead Parrot" sketch. I found it amusing, but it is by the folks who do South Park, so caveat lector.

** Wherein the driver, usually in some outlandishly large truck or truck-like vehicle, indicates his/her intention to take your place on the road by crowding the dividing line between his/her vehicle and yours. No directional indicator may be used, because to do so would constitute a display of weakness or respect. Or sentience, perhaps.

*** This three-minute walk sure does provide a lot of blog fodder, doesn't it?

16 comments:

Bret said...

"...there's no answer, when there is no question..."

I nearly "encountered" a woman (coincidentally enough, attired in a burka) driver this morning who was clearly the inspiration for the apocryphal insurance report, "She was all over the road. I had to swerve several times before I hit her."

Lou said...

Some people have this mentality of - get the f**k off the road - it's mine. My best course of action - I move as far away from them as possible. But yes, it does sound like lawlessness on the highway!

Anne said...

Here I am, the scripture quoter (sorry, I can't help myself). I don't believe it would be a lack of being "devout" for not praying in public.

Matthew 6:5-7 "And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. 7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words." NKJV

P.S. Suzie Badoozie doesn't think they deal with that sort of thing where she's at because she's the one doing the crazy driving.

Foo said...

You make a good point, Anne, but it wasn't really the fact that this man was praying publicly that made me think so much as his... I'm groping for the word here. Steadfastness? Commitment?

That's it. I guess I was impressed by the commitment it would take to be so intent on keeping one's appointed prayer time that he'd whip out the throw rug, take off his shoes, and begin chanting and scraping right there in front of this big, silver offic building for people to gawk at as they come by.

I mean, there are times when it feels to me like a sacrifice to give up a piece of my weekend to God and go to church.

Bill said...

I considered installing Moron-seeking rockets on my car. I mean, how could you miss??

(my secret code word was "fcksnpl". Hey, I like Snapple!)

Foo said...

I continue to maintain that the perfect Car Wars car would be a '57 Belaire. You put rockets in place of those rubber cones on the front bumper. You put a pair of Vickers machine guns in place of the jets in the hood. Maybe some sort of defensive measures firing from the rear.

Sweet.

Anne said...

Just like a couple of men - cars and weapons.

Foo said...

Just like a woman to make a condescending judgment about something she doesn't "get".

Anne said...

Hardy har har! :)

Anne said...

That's right SuzaLuka - I'm watching.

Anne said...

I've been checking back as well but haven't commented.

By the way Foo... never mind.

Jenn said...

bad driver education indeed. that is fabulous. very well said.

I too, grumble over the Sunday 'chunk of time' when the only thing that Jesus was inconvenienced was His life sacrifice for me. A couple of hours to bless and be blessed is asking so much. (insert more sarcasm)

I do find it laborious to get together four children: Fed, dressed and clean (that's the big one) and out the door on Sunday. I do it Mon-Fri without a hitch, without DH. Sunday morning comes around and I am completely unable to get dressed in under 45 minutes. I must really need to get to church.

By the way, Foo, if you would like a REAL prize for the mullet photo contest, let me know and I can mail you one.

Foo said...

jennybee: Gee, I never considered that you might actually be serious about there being a prize. However, upon consideration, I've decided to donate my prize to a good cause. Please forward it to the Joe Dirt Home For Wayward Anachronisms.

Sweetie probably wouldn't let me have a black light poster in the new house anyway.

Anne and Susie: Don't feel like I'm intentionally snubbing you gals. Until I get this volunteer second job under control, even Sweetie doesn't see much of me unless she sends her comments via e-mail:

To: FooGeek@husband.org
From: Sweetie@wife.com
Subject: Status check

Are you still in there? Are you still alive? What would you like for dinner? Do you need a refill on your Jack?

Can I have a kiss?

*smooch*
Sweetie

Tink said...

"Earlier in the drive, some clown cut in front of a car two lanes over and slammed on his brakes."

I want you to know that I was actually visualizing a clown. As in red nose, big feet, tiny car, CLOWN. LOL.

Foo said...

Tink: It coulda been. I mean, it was dark and all.

If it was a clown, those big honkin' shoes could explain all the erratic braking.

Blogger says "icihxu". To that, I say, «Gesundheit! Hier ist ein Taschentuch.»

Anne said...

Hey FooLoo, you finished working yet?

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...