19 August, 2008

The Olympic spirit

In honor of this year's hosts, I'd just like to say, “我有一個活鱒魚在我的內褲” 。

But seriously, the Beijing Olympics have been a lot of fun for me:
  • I'm not generally a big fan of swimming – not watching it, and certainly not doing it. But seeing Michael Phelps' historic run has turned me into something of a bandwagon jumper. Just amazing.
  • Ditto women's gymnastics. Never mind that part of me cringes every time one of them starts flopping around on the balance beam (I think you know which part). I just feel like I should avert my eyes or something. But again, with Nastia Liukin living and training in my extended neighborhood, I can't help but take an interest.
  • I'm really looking forward to the upcoming women's sand volleyball semi-finals between May-Treanor/Walsh and whichever of the Chinese teams they'll face. Turtle thinks it's because I like Kerri's abs and the way Misty's bum fills out a skimpy bikini bottom, but the truth is that I just love watching them play. I love watching Phil Dalhausser and Todd Rogers too, but they don't seem to get as much TV coverage (perhaps because they don't have the same visual appeal as sand-covered women in skimpy bikinis). I used to play a lot of beach volleyball when I was younger, and the reflexes are still there. Every time one of the U.S. players shanks a pass, I twitch involuntarily, willing them to dive and dig it out.
  • I really, really would like to see someone wipe the cocky smirk off Usain Bolt's face, but I somehow doubt I'll get my wish. That guy is scary fast. “Ruuun, Walter! Run!”
  • Just when I'd begun to suspect that all there is to the Olympics are swimming, diving, gymnastics, volleyball, and track events, I got to see some coverage of horse jumping (or whatever it's called), table tennis, and trampoline. And now I understand why those events don't get any coverage.

8 comments:

Mrs. Higrens said...

I may be in the minority, but I actually enjoy the equestrian (that's horse riding to those who don't know better ;) events. Of course, it probably helps that I'm married to a former rider who went to nationals in college, so I have someone to explain the finer details.

I do have to nominate the women's and men's marathon coverage as some of the worst out there. Seriously, what excitement is there in watching people run for miles?

Bee said...

This Olympics has been more fun.

AMEN to Usain Bolt. It's revolting and unsportsman-like to be pounding your chest and acting like you're all that and a bag of chips even before you cross the finish line. I told Mr Coffee, I hope they drug test him soon...I'm just saying.

I did see trampoline events last night although, I kept thinking about the effects of that much jumping. Got wrinkles?

I love the gymnast competitions. Although, Chinese gymnast He Kexin is NOT 16. Chinese newspapers online have had stories pulled regarding her age, because she is reported in years past to make her 14. I'd be ticked taking silver to someone who isn't of rulebook age.

Last but not least, May-Treanor and Walsh are amazing to watch. They've worked hard and it shows.

Anonymous said...

Having gotten as far as the Paralympic Trials in my younger years, watching the Olympics is always both fascinating and frustrating to me. I love watching the athletes compete, knowing what kind of training they go through in order to get there. It's unbelievable! My frustration comes with the IOC. Their rules this year are just plain BS. The gymnasts are getting screwed with rules different from the rest of the athletes. Why can other venues have 2 first place winners, but the gymnasts can't? Morons. And you can't tell me the girls from China are all 16 or older.

I believe Usain Bolt needs a swift kick in the head with the attitude he portrays. Why can't he be DQ'd based on his ego? That's not the Olympic spirit, and he's a bad role model. I sincerely hope someone beats him.

And while are we talking about taking out Women's Softball when trampoline is considered a sport? OMG! Where does the IOC have it's head? Bouncing around on a trampoline isn't a solo sport, you idiots. It should be added to gymnastics.

On the positive side, I have never been more proud of the US and the athletes who are competing for us. They have shown nothing but the true Olympic spirit despite of an obviously flawed system. Every event we've watched has proven that. They've been interesting and enlightening, although I'm not sure I could sit for hours watching some of them.

Next, it's the Paralympics for me -- 2 weeks after the Olympics. I'm hoping there will be some coverage, perhaps online.

Go USA! Thanks for making us proud.

Tink said...

Well, with a name like BOLT, how can you not be fast? I never pegged Hoop for an Olympics enthusiast, but this year he's really gotten into it. His favorite person to watch is Nastia.

Anonymous said...

For anyone that might be interested:
http://en.paralympic.beijing2008.cn
and
http://paralympics.teamusa.org/

Anne said...

Okay. Do they HAVE to wear those skimpy outfits playing beach volleyball? Come on.

I feel as if I haven't slept for almost two weeks.

Anonymous said...

Okay, am I the only one who tried to translate the Chinese? According to Babelfish, it says:

"I have a trout in mine underpants."

Knowing Foo, I wouldn't doubt that...

Foo said...

@mrs. higrens: It probably does help that you have a connection, but I've just never understand why lots of people – women especially – get so excited about horses. So it's my issue, in part. I guess the part is don't get about equestrian events in the Olympics is that it seems like it's the horse that's competing, not the rider. I know there's skill involved and probably some athletics; but it's not the competitor doing the physical work, why not make motocross or monster truck racing Olympic events?

@bee: Looks like the entire U.S. track program is going to get a good going-over between now and the London Olympics. Either that, or they need to shut up about being the best in the world until they can actually live up to their own press.

@tink: I think Hoop's just titillated by the notion of a scantily-clad, extremely flexible girl named "Nasty-a". If he asks you to go shopping for a shiny metallic body suit, you'll know he's developed a new Tink Kink.

@anne: I suppose an alternative would be to go without them…

@joe: Thanks for playing! You really should try Google's translator, though. It seems to do a better job of rendering my "I have a live trout in my underpants." It even did a passable job with "My hovercraft is full of eels", according to a Taiwanese co-worker. The Chinese understand an “air pad boat” is a hovercraft, apparently.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...