05 February, 2009

Checking in

Wow. It's been a month to the day since my last post here. That and the fact that you haven't seen any comments from me in your blogs should give some idea how I've been spending my time. If you're not the clue getting sort, let's just say I've been working. A lot.

Before you start to suspect this is the beginning of a whinge, let me assure you that it's not. In an economy as bad as ours is (and when is that nice young Obama kid going to fix it?), just the fact that I am still working is cause for daily prayers of gratitude. Just last week, one of my favorite coworkers and a man I consider a friend was among the eight from my office who were laid off, along with another 25 from the Atlanta office.

It makes a fellow think twice about bitching about long, thankless hours and managers who can't seem to understand the limits of what can be accomplished in a day. So I think three times, keep my mouth shut, and try to smile.

I tried keep this attitude while I was spending a few hours in the waiting room of my new endocrinologist's office. After I finished filling out the usual forms and answering the same questions that I'd have to answer all over again, once I got to see the nurse (and again when I saw the doctor), I took my clipboard to the receptionist. It went something like this:

Muffy: Okay, good. Just have a seat in one of the chairs, and Miss Monique will come to take you back to one of the examination rooms. 'Kay?
Foo: Dude… did you just talk to me like a five year old?
Muffy: Like a… oh! No. No... we all call her ‘Miss Monique’. Um… did you just call me ‘dude’?

Funniest conversation I've had in weeks.

Actually, that may not be true. I finally got out for a training ride with my Wheeler Dealers buddies this past Sunday, and we had a pretty fun time replenishing with liquid carbs afterwards. It was only 25 miles, and I'm not even sure that my nutso work schedule will allow me to train up to do the MS 150 this year, but I was glad for the chance to finally get a few road miles on the books for 2009. Good times… good times.

4 comments:

Mrs. Higrens said...

Was wondering where you were. Good to know it's because you still have a job and aren't one of those out there pounding the pavement.

Dude.

Cowtown Pattie said...

Dude, indeed.

The Dude Foo Abides!

Hey, Dude, glad to hear things are still in normal mode for you.

Remember to let her under your skin,
Then you'll begin to make it
Better better better better better better, oh.


Oh, wait, that's Jude, Dude.

Tink said...

Dude.

We're pretty informal here at my office, but there's one woman who we all call Miss Sandy. Her name isn't even Sandy!

OK, that's a lie.

But it's still funny. ;)

Anne said...

My sister was diagnosed with MS about five months ago. She has been struggling for a long time. She's 38. Her new doctor told her yesterday he suspects she's had it for about 20 years. Very frustrating. You mentioned your MS 150 and it made me think of her.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...