05 January, 2009

In your face(book)

In the earlier years of internet availability, it was pretty unusual for some new time sink web toy to come along without my noticing. These days, I seem to be the last to know. Maybe it's because I'm a lot busier than I used to be, or maybe I'm just getting old, but I arrived a little late to the blog party. I only got on Twitter a month or so ago, not because I could see the point (lacking, as I do, the ability and motivation to send/receive text messages on my phone), but because I was curious.*

About a month ago, I received an invitation from my brother to join him on Facebook. I ignored it, partially because I'm already on LinkedIn and partially because Facebook doesn't give away any clues regarding what it is, unless you create an account. I thought, "Foo that noise" and never gave it another thought – at least, not until my wife informed me that all but one of my siblings and a couple cousins were on Facebook. And they were communicating.

So, too late to make a long story short, I signed up (using a false birth date, of course). In the few days I've had my account, I think I've tailored my settings to stop up the more aggregious security holes. I've posted some pictures and reconnected with a high school buddy I hadn't heard from (or, to my shame, thought of) in years. I've seen a couple more people I know come on, just within the past few days.

What I'm wondering is this: Why now? I know Facebook has been around for years, but it seems like it has really taken off in the past few weeks. Are the media talking about it because it has taken off, or has it taken off because the media are talking about it?

7 comments:

Doozie said...

I just don't know. I have never gotten along very well with facebook, it is not appealing to my eyeballs, and the applications are horribly annoying.

Mrs. Higrens said...

Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter are too newfangled for this crotchety (young?) person to want to figure out.

Crazy kids with their crazy internet programs.

Tink said...

It's probably due to the new upgrade. They totally revamped their style about a month or two ago. You should "friend" me. I'm on there too!

Lou said...

You should friend me too, Mike. I'm already friends with the turtle...

Gwynne said...

I've known about (and resisted) Facebook for a long time (all the school kids are doing it)...same with Twitter and Myspace...too much work for this old coot. I don't get the attraction but if it helps families communicate more, that's a good thing. Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Ain't nothing wrong with Facebook...

Myspace, on the other hand... Maybe I'm just getting older, but I can't be bothered to deal with the horrible page designs some people choose. If I can't read it, what's the point?

Anne said...

I have thought the same thing about FaceBook - how come all of a sudden people are joining? I created an account a while back but ignored it. Just recently got deeper into it - I've enjoyed it. You can make quick posts. A lot of my family is on it, current friends, and friends from high school. You can "friend" me if you want but you have to know my real name. :) Send me an e-mail if you want.

I have a MySpace accound but it's too junky for me. Not a fan.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...