04 March, 2009

Failure to lunch

Every workday for the past seven years, I've gotten out of bed, showered (and sometimes shaved), and then packed myself a lunch. If I'm reasonably awake, I make a sandwich, select some sort of fruit cup and maybe a pudding, bag up some manner of Frito-Lay product, and pack it all neatly inside a purpose-made Cordura® nylon lunch bag. If I'm not so awake, I may grab a hot pocket or a Lean Cuisine dinner instead of making the sandwich.

I then gather up my lunch bag, my travel mug filled with black coffee, and my sausage-egg-and-cheese biscuit and carry them out to the car. I open Dorian's rear hatch, set my lunch next to the old ball and chain my laptop, and close the hatch. I climb behind the wheel, set my coffee in the cup holder and my sausage bicuit bowl in the passenger's seat next to me.

It's all quite routine.

This morning, I seem to have missed a step, but I wasn't sure which one – until that “Oh crap. Was that a curb or a small child I just backed over??” moment. Fortunately, it was neither. It was my lunch, which I'd set down behind the car to open the hatch but then, instead of opening the hatch, had proceeded directly to the climbing behind the wheel step.

The lunch bag suffered minimal damage (being, as it is, Cordura®). The potato chips, slice of pasteurized cheese product, hamburger bun, and one of the two cutey oranges were totaled. The frozen pre-grilled hamburger patty was cracked but otherwise unmarred. The cup of pineapple chunks was, miraculously, unexploded.

I have far too much on my mind.

6 comments:

Mrs. Higrens said...

Better to run over your lunch than your laptop.

Foo said...

@Mrs. H: The jury's still out.

That Janie Girl said...

God, Foo. You crack me up!

Gwynne said...

Mrs. H beat me to it. I've done that. My husband, bless his heart, often carries my suitcase (my "briefcase" is literally a carryon suitcase) down to the car, but always leaves it behind the locked trunk rather than putting it inside. Needless to say, there are days when I "miss a step," or many. Sorry you lost your lunch.

Foo said...

@Janie: Glad to hear it. I feel I'm badly neglecting my blog buddies.

@Gwynne: Wait… you ran over your brief-/suitcase?? That's a lot worse than running over your lunch. I'd have to say you win this round.

Gwynne said...

The worst part is when you think you just ran over the dog. The best part is when you discover it was only your suitcase. I think lunch might also be worse than the suitcase. ;-)

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...