18 February, 2007

When worlds collide

As I sat down in front of the TV to drink my first cup of coffee and send a thank you note to a fellow blogger for her MS 150 sponsorship, I noted that the tube was still tuned to CMT, where I'd been watching an interview with Larry the Cable Guy, yesterday. There was Ricky Skaggs, looking ageless, paired off with Bruce Hornsby, not so much. I like Ricky's bluegrass, so I lifted my thumb off the remote and was rewarded with a rousing cover version of an '80s classic.

Rick James' "Super Freak".

The earth shifted slightly on its axis, and I felt the same sort of disorientation as the first (and only) time I heard Leslie Gore doing her rendition of AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" or The Oak Ridge Boys covering "Carry On Wayward Son" (both from the When Pigs Fly compilation).

I think I'm awake now.

One for Shoesie Badoozie

As promised.



Things you should know about this footwear:
  • These boots were made for walkin'--not scootin'. The only boot scooting I ever did was when I found myself in such a crush of humanity that I was unable to take a full step. Not so much a scoot as a shuffle, really.
  • Like Anne's, my feet have grown a bit since I bought the boots over 15 years ago.
  • Unlike Anne, I'd still wear them if they fit. I've lost about 1 1/2" in height due to my degenerative disks and could use the elevation. And wouldn't it be easier and less humiliating than having to change the information on my driver's license?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

those look kind of spendy. glad you saved them, they could come in handy at some point?

i recommend against changing your drivers license. it can be scarey.

i'm a closet travis tritt lover, don't tell anyone

yellojkt said...

Those are fine looking boots. You should only take them off for one thing.

Bicycle riding.

What did you think I was gonna say?

Jenn said...

I want to know Ricky Skaggs beauty routine, he has to be doing something right.

great boots..

Foo said...

yellojkt: Honestly, I couldn't have guessed. I'd only just returned from a training ride when I read your comment, and my mind was more on logging my miles than in the gutter.
My first thought would have been "only take them off for a post-ride shower."

I know, I know. It's ridiculous. I mean, who rides in lizard skin boots? Bikes, I mean.

Emma: Yep. Pretty young looking. And he has, thankfully, grown into his hair.

Anne said...

Ricky Skaggs has a big face - people with big faces (like me) tend not to show wrinkles as much.

Lik'em boots ya got dair. Maybe we should trade. :-)

Tink said...

Oh Foo. Please tell me you snuck into someone else's closet for that picture. Tell me those cowboy boots aren't yours!

Unless you have a matching lasso. Then it might be OK.

Foo said...

Tink: Don't be ridiculous. Those aren't cowboy boots; they're lizard skin.

No lasso, no ten-gallon hat. And before you ask, no whip either (ya naughty little minx).

Gwynne said...

I had a Super Freak moment on my iPod the other day (Rick James followed an especially worshipful gospel tune sung by Elvis Presley. ;-) Earth shifting indeed.

Nice boots.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...