25 February, 2007

Under the weather

I've never been able to figure out why "under the weather" means "not feeling well", but here I am again: under the weather and under my afghan. This wouldn't be particularly interesting to me or anyone else, but if one were to scroll back to last year's archives, he or she would see that it was about this same time that I was laid up, watching Olympic curling.

The worst part is that the weather I've been under since about midday Thursday has been nice. I could have been getting in some training rides, if I'd been able to draw a full breath without triggering a coughing fit. For now, though, it seems like enough of an achievement just to be sitting upright and typing on the computer.

Which brings me to something I meant to post earlier but didn't feel well enough to bother with...

More bathroom humor

Just when I thought I'd heard it all, someone went and upped the ante.

I was at work and decided it was time to return my first three cups of coffee to the wild. Almost as soon as I entered the men's rest room, I could hear music coming from the handicap-accessible stall—tinny, like someone was listening on headphones and had the volume cranked up loud.

Stomp-stomp. CLAP! Stomp-stomp. CLAP! We will... we will... ROCK YOU! Sing it!


And he did, sort of under his breath, tapping his feet. But not clapping. If he'd been clapping, I think I might have been tempted to sell tickets.

10 comments:

Tink said...

Maybe he needed a theme song for the moment. :)

Here's to being under the weather too. May the sun come out soon.

Gwynne said...

So did you sing the part before the refrain, "You big disgrace Somebody better put you back in your place?" ;-)

Foo said...

Tink: Thank God he wasn't playing "Love To Love Ya Baby".

Gwynne: It's funny you mention that. It's the "mud on your face" bit just before that had me giggling.

Nice bit of levity on a Friday, really. That, combined with confirmation that I wasn't one of the 3% who'd be losing their positions in our company's recent acquisition, left my karmic ledger in the black even as I worked up to a nice three-day case of the crud.

That Janie Girl said...

That is funny!

Jenn said...

Singing???

Gives new meaning to whistle while you work.

I hope you feel better.

Foo said...

Janie: I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought so.

Emma: Thanks. I'm getting back on my feet, but I'm afraid I'm going to have this cough for a while.

And just think how much more humorous the whole thing would have been if he'd been playing [c]rap "music". With all that grunting they do? Shee-oot.

Bret said...

The punch line:

"...and out walks Tom Arnold in cowboy garb..."

Who does Number 2 work for, baby?

Anne said...

I've just recently come from under the weather myself. I've got a cough that won't quit.

Hope you get to feelin' better. :)

We liked to sing a cheer for HubbaDette when she was having all her potty problems: "Push it out, shove it out, W A Y out! (repeat)

That Janie Girl said...

loaqHeads up. We are now leaving Denton, Texas...but heading towards Missouri.

Who knew?

Foo said...

Bret: Sorry, man. Too obscure for me.

Anne: I hope you're feeling better. I've got the nagging cough too, and it's eating into my training time. Hope it's better in time for the MS 150 kickoff and training ride, next weekend.

Janie: Too bad I didn't know. With my more charming half over in Arlington all weekend, all I've had to keep myself distracted is yard work and house cleaning. I'd have popped over to Denton to meet you guys, no problem.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...