14 April, 2007

Best laid plans of mousey men

A few weeks ago, I was sitting at a table outside Einstein's Bagels with my buddy, rcarlino, and he asked if I was going to do the PBA's Spring Century ride. I remembered how much he and several other riding buddies enjoyed the Fall Century and, after a bit of discussion about whether or not I was in shape for it, decided I'd give it a go.

As of last weekend, the projected weather forecast for this weekend was high temperatures around 70, and sunny. By mid-week, it had changed to partly cloudy and low 60s. Last evening, a nasty band of thunderstorms and tornadoes rolled across the metromess with a cold front in its wake. By this morning, the temperatures were in the mid-40s with projected highs in the mid-50s.

But it was still supposed to be sunny, so even with the predicted 20 mph winds out of the north the ride was still doable, and the wind would be at our backs (bonus!) on the return leg. I'd just have to wear my tights, full-finger gloves, and my windbreaker. The thing is, once I was standing in the parking lot, discussing the situation with other riders, I started noticing that their tights and jackets were thicker than what I had on, and most were wearing at least two jerseys—and arm warmers besides. And still I tried to convince myself that I was being a weenie. I'd probably warm up once I got moving. 20 mph headwinds and 35 mph gusts wouldn't be that bad, right? Except I couldn't hear myself think over the chattering of my teeth.

I should have listened to Turtle when she tried to get me to buy some winter cycling gear on end-of-season closeout.

The short of it is that I hung around long enough for rcarlino to arrive, told him I was bagging it, and turned the car toward the house without ever unloading my bike. I felt kind of guilty about that. At least, I felt guilty about it until I checked Weather Underground and saw that the winds are only increasing, and the temperature's dropping.

Maybe I'll go to Hotter 'N' Hell 100 this year and try for my century. I'm betting it won't be too cold then.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Foo, those conditions were not conducive at all to riding. It would have an extreme battle against the elements all day long, rather than an enjoyable 100-mile ride (assuming there is such a thing as an enjoyable 100-mile ride).

I was wearing insulated tights, a base layer t-shirt, a long sleeve jersey, a long sleeve jacket, glove liners, full finger gloves, two pairs of socks, and a partridge in a pear tree thrown in for good measure, and I was STILL cold. I'm just glad Sharon wasn't there to lead us. She would have nonchalantly said something like "Oh, I've ridden in weather like this before. It's only cold for the first 100 miles."

Yes, you probably should have listened to Turtle when she tried to get you to buy some winter cycling gear, although I don't think it would have mattered today. Of course, I'm sure she won't let you forget this fact regardless. And I know she won't forget it. Wives have a memory for their husbands' obstinate acts that would put computer ROM to shame.

We'll try a century ride again some other day.

Cowtown Pattie said...

I am always an admirer of men in tights...

Foo, thanks for stopping by my joint, I was going to email you, but couldn't find an address.

Don Q was a prodigious tipper of cows...doncha know.

Anonymous said...

the women are always right about what to wear...ALWAYS

Anonymous said...

Good choice, 'bent brother... It was brutal enough for us workers at Lancaster rest stop #4, and we were only out till 1PM.

Suggestion: If you're going to do 100 in Wichita Falls in August, do a few 100Ks in June and July as warmups... but don't be afraid to overdress, that's what that backpack is for!

And rcarlino, might I suggest that a century on a 'bent CAN be enjoyable... :^) But, YMMV...

Best,
Paul

Tink said...

BTW, I just wanted to say this before you ever gave me reason to.

You are not allowed to close up shop. EVER. OK, maybe in like 10-15 years. But not soon.

OK? I would miss you too damn much.

Foo said...

Pattie: When you say you're an admirer of men in tights, I hope you don't mean that Kevin Costner movie.

Eric: I like that explanation. I'll take it! 'Cause, yanno, for most intelligence tests, I've always needed a crib sheet.

Doozie: Even if they're wrong, you're the ones who have to look at me. So I guess that makes sense. Except... I still don't get why you get so hot and bothered about tuxedoes, military uniforms, and business suits. I can kind of see the military uniforms, since that's an association with studliness. The business suits and tuxedoes must just imply money.

Paul: I've been trying to keep upping the distances whether I do Wichita Falls or not. The way things are going with my neck problems, though, I'm just hoping to make it through the MS 150.

Tink: I feel like I missed something. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since I haven't had time to get around to anyone's blogs (including my own) for close to a week. My blog may be gathering a bit of dust, but I don't have plans to shut it down just yet.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...