14 August, 2007

Nerds and the fashion void

In case anyone is keeping track, it stopped raining a month or so ago. The wet weather and cooler than normal temperatures have given way to the customary hot, dry weather that we north Texans are used to. When I rolled into the driveway after my evening commute, Dorian's in-dash thermometer read 105 °F.

I've been working some long hours lately. That has put the brakes on my after-work bike riding and makes it tough to find time for routine chores like mowing the lawn. Turtle, being in attuned to such things, was waiting for me when I walked in the house.

"You're not planning to mow the lawn, are you?" she asked. When I didn't immediately respond with the 'no' she was looking for, she continued. "I was talking to Mom, and she says you should take it easy, have a nice cold beer or two, and not die."

"Mmm," I said, noncommittally. I knew that the only beer on the premises was in the garage, where it was about 120°.

But what's that got to do with nerd chic? you're probably wondering.

For as long as I can remember, one of the defining characteristics of nerds has been their complete lack of fashion sense.* Thick glasses, held together with safety pins and Scotch brand tape. Highwater trousers. Sweater vests. Not last year's fashions, nor even those from the year before—five years, ten years ago.

I've always felt it was unfair to assume that nerds can't dress themselves presentably. It's just lower on their list of priorities than hacking the Linux kernel or re-watching the entire Firefly series from start to finish (including Serenity) in one sitting. Why blow perfectly good money on a new pair of eyeglasses when it could be spent on a Visual Studio 2005 upgrade?

It's with that kind of mentality that, the minute Turtle's car was out of sight and on the way to her meeting, I went to my closet and grabbed my old red, sleeveless cycling jersey (the one whose elastic waistband was shot). I dug out an old pair of navy gym shorts (the ones whose drawstring had broken) and my old Halo sweatband, dressed, and headed out to mow the lawn.

Sure, the combination of tight cycling jersey and shorts that displayed just how weird a cyclist's tan lines really are would have elicited hoots and jeers from the guys down at the local day labor office. But from a practical standpoint, the wicking fabric of the jersey got me the most cooling benefit from what little breeze there was to be had. The sweatband kept the perspiration (okay... rivers of sweat) from burning my eyes. The shorts... well, let's just say I don't have the flabbiest man legs and bum on the cul de sac.

I was just finishing up when one of those Lexus [snicker] trucks pulled up in front of the next door neighbors' house, and a woman in a tailored white linen suit climbed out. As she made her way up the sidewalk, I saw her eyeing me and imagined that she was horrified by my attire.

Yep, I thought, cracking a grin. Still got it.

That, or she was mesmerized by my tan lines.

* I say "their", but I don't think that's fooling anyone. We're talking about me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You shit! You lied to me! I should have figured.

Anne said...

Oh No - someone's in trouble now.

So, you're a nerd huh? I have a question. If you had run out of gas would you have gone to town in that lawn-mowing attire? Possibly stopped by Walmart on the way back home for the whole world to see?

Eric Siegmund said...

Halo headbands: the inventor deserves a Nobel or a Pulitzer or whatever people get who improve the lot of humankind in amazing ways.

Foo said...

Turtle: But the lawn looks good. Right?

Anne: I'm always in trouble. It's the lot of the married man. Would I have gone to the gas station dressed that way? Why not. Wal-Mart? I'd almost take a beating before setting foot in Wal-Mart, so I'm not sure I understand the question—but I'll try. Given that I'd only go to Wal-Mart if Turtle were bleeding out and I needed first aid supplies, or if the house were on fire and I needed a fire extinguisher... yes. I'd go to Wal-Mart dressed like that.

And I'd go un-remarked upon among the typical Wal-Mart patrons, I'd wager. You know it's bad when a nerd's watching you push your square-wheeled cart down the aisle and thinking to himself, "FASHION EMERGENCY, AISLE 15!!!"

Eric: I agree, but the Halo is barely adequate for the volume of drippings that pour off me when I'm doing yard work. I've been thinking of trying a Sweat Gutr™.

Jenn said...

((giggling at turtle's comment))

Does your Mazda have delusions of becoming a Spartan warrior? Just wondering.

Mr. Coffee works out in this heat, when it's 100 degrees out (doesn't break that too often) or when it's 10 below. The tan lines are a plus for me, easier to find the glowy sections in the dark.

And you know, if Lexus Lady got a flat, she would ask you for help in an instant......and hey, I happen to LIKE Firefly/Serenity?

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...