19 October, 2007

Don't start with me

Over the years, I've installed a lot of Windows applications on my computers, and I find it irritating when a new addition has the arrogance to set itself up to start every time I boot up my computer. Often, the solution is as simple as setting a configuration option, but sometimes the application doesn't provide the option to turn off auto loading.

This morning, when I installed an application that allows me to synchronize my Palm handheld with my Yahoo! calendar, I quickly discovered that it was one of the rude variety that insists on starting up, whether I need it or not. That's when I paid a visit to Annoyances.org, a handy site where you can find lots of tips about how to deal with all sorts of obscure little Windows... well, annoyances.

In this case, I learned that the solution to my auto-run problem went like this:
  1. Open Start -> Run and type in "msconfig". Press enter.
  2. When msconfig starts, select the "Startup" tab and find the offending program in the list.
  3. Uncheck the box next to the program you want to stop auto-loading.
  4. Click "Apply" and then "OK".
  5. When you reboot, you'll receive a message telling you that you've changed your configuration and do you want to run msconfig and see this message every time you reboot? Check the box that says not to show the message again, and... voila!
Link

1 comment:

Jenn said...

If you use Spybot Search & Destroy Anti-spyware program (it's free and I highly recommend it), you can view all of your start up programs, as you described, by using the advanced options. Then you just uncheck your less than desirable programs and off you go...

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...