06 March, 2007

Busy, busy, busy

Lots going on, some of it noteworthy, not much of it particularly entertaining. Still, the company I work for completed its "merger" with the much smaller company that bought us out, and I won't be one of the small number who became redundant. More good news: since the new, combined company is privately held, my outstanding stock options were paid out at a price sufficient to replace much of what I spent on the new car.

Coding, coding, debugging, and more coding. No blogging, but you knew that.

The weather shows signs of finally warming to temperatures that this weenie can ride in, and I've been taking advantage. I have yet to catch a weekend when the temperature hasn't dropped back to winter levels, but it's starting to stay light longer and I've been able to get out for an hour each of the past two nights after work. I take my full-suspension Humvee of a mountain bike because it's more nimble in the neighborhoods, and because its weight and higher rolling resistance give me a harder workout than the 'bent would in the available time.

This evening, as I was finishing up, I rode to the neighborhood Sonic for a toaster bacon cheeseburger. Yes, I probably more than replaced any fat I burned during the ride, but whatever. It was delicious. So, I was sitting at one of the tables, watching the traffic and having my dinner, when a co-ed pack of skate rats rolled up and loudly worked out what they were going to order. A couple of them kept eyeballing me in my lycra clown suit, and as I was getting ready to take off one kid finally decided I was ripe for some cool points with his buds.

"What a huge dork," he announced. He turned to his buds for approval and was rewarded with jeers and laughter.

"Yeah," I said. "These shorts don't leave much to the imagination."

More hoots and laughter. I like to think I scored with that one, but who knows.

11 comments:

Jenn said...

oh, he was just jealous he couldn't be that cool. By the way, I am pretty much close to death here. This flu thing is kicking my butt...

Foo said...

Emma: I'm sorry to hear that you've got the crud now, too. I hope you feel better soon.

Seems like everyone's been catching a dose, these last few weeks, and against all logic I'm starting to think that the stuff's transmittable by blog. What I don't understand is how, with "everyone" getting flu shots, so many are getting it anyway. I can't take the shots, because I have some kind of not-egg-related allergic reaction, break into a running sweat, and pass out--but lots of people do, and the vaccinations don't seem to be helping.

All I know is that I kicked my flu's ass in a couple days, but a couple weeks later I still have enough gunk in my lungs to choke a... well, perhaps that much graphic detail isn't necessary. But you get the point.

And now, Turtle The Allergist has convinced me that a significant part of my problem is the allergies to oak and birch that I continue to assert I don't have.

These are tough times to be lung tissue.

Lance Notstrong said...

I would say you knocked that one out of the park Foo!!! Now that's being quick on your toes!!!

Anne said...

Foo - you are just too cool to be a dork. :)

Allez said...

Bike rides & Sonic are the perfect combination. Regardless of fat and calories!

Tink said...

Whenever I go bike riding I like to stop for twinkies. ;)

Stupid kids. They probably didn't even understand what you were talking about. And clown suits (minus the nose) could be sexy... Right?

Foo said...

Lance: If a tree falls in the forest... yadda, yadda.

Anne: Or just too dorky to worry about being cool.

Allez: I knew you'd appreciate the Sonic reference!

Tink: I think you deserve to have your own creme-filled snack pastry. But what to call it? (The question is rhetorical, or should be.)

Clown suits sexy? Does Hoop know how you roll?

Anonymous said...

oh, i'm sure your retort flew right over their greasy heads. next time whip out your taser and blast them

Spenser said...

Who uses dork anymore anyway.. :P

Jenn said...

I'm on the mend!! Thanks for the wishes....

I have a tech question that I don't know and can't find anywhere. If you do a system restore (Win XP), does it revert any Windows updates to post-installation? If my Add/Remove programs have the said updates listed, then are they fully installed? Lastly, would it be better to uninstall them and immediately reinstall them to make sure of a clean update file? Am I WAY over thinking this, granted if you can help me with my bombardment of questions? hehe. And I know the answer is not '42'.

Foo said...

Susie: You're probably right about it going over their heads, but hey... it amused me enough to provide a little blog material.

Eric: Good on ya! It took a while, but it looks like we're about to get our two weeks of Spring before we jump into the 90s. And my sonic is only a quarter of a mile from the house, if that. It was the 15 miles before I came back around to the Sonic that I used to rationalize stopping there.

Spenser: Who knows? They could have been using a term they heard their grandparents use, just to make sure I knew I was getting the needle. Or maybe I'm so old that I just misheard... though why they'd call me a huge spork, I have no clue.

Emma: I'm afraid I don't know the extent of what gets restored when you revert to a checkpoint, but I'm pretty sure it's not as extensive as restoring programs you've uninstalled. If I remember, I'll ask one of the serious Windows geeks at work on Monday.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...