06 March, 2008

Snow job

Conventional wisdom has it that if we're going to get any snow here in Texas, it's going to happen in February. Riiight...


Don't get me wrong. I'm not under any illusions that this is a noteworthy snowfall in any locale that actually gets snow more than once every other year, but considering the amount of chaos that even rain causes around here, it's enough to turn a half-hour afternoon commute into a four-hour slog.

That's why, when the sleet started coming around noon (instead of 6pm like the weather experts predicted), pretty much everyone at my office who had the ability to do so packed up and headed home. It may sometimes seem like being issued a laptop is more of a curse than a blessing, but it sure was nice to have the option to pack it up, beat the nightmare traffic, and finish out the second half of my workday from the comfort of my own kitchen.

We didn't even get as much as a couple days ago, but look at the size of those snowflakes... no! Snowglobs!

Update...

My Allen homeboy, Chip, lives only a couple miles from me and observed that he got a lot more snow on Tuesday than you see in the pictures above. That's because those are from Thursday when we didn't get as much snow, but what we did get came faster and in bigger chunks. Here's a shot I took Tuesday morning:


There's a mildly amusing footnote to this picture – besides the fact that I was out in the street at 6am in my Jack Daniel's pajama bottoms, goose down slippers, a fleece pullover, and my winter coat. As I gingerly picked my way down the driveway, I noticed one of my neighbors from a couple houses down was doing the same thing (except that he was dressed for work). I hollered to him that it was kind of pathetic that this amount of snow was enough to bring us out at dawn to take pictures. He laughed and agreed. He was snapping a picture to send to his brother in Wisconsin, where they had three feet of snow.

I guess it's all relative.

9 comments:

Mrs. Higrens said...

I love snow. But I hate how peoples brains melt out their ears when forced to drive in it. It's a shame how common sense has disappeared in this country.

Foo said...

Amen.

Anonymous said...

You didn't get more than that on Tuesday?

Look what we got Tuesday morning just a few miles from you.

http://cyclochip.com/blog/?p=206

Foo said...

@chip: those pictures were from Thursday, not Tuesday. The accumulation from Tuesday was more, but the snowglobs were larger Thursday afternoon.

If I can find it again, I'll post up a shot that I took Tuesday morning.

Anonymous said...

OK, I TOTALLY read this wrong...

"We didn't even get as much as a couple days ago"

I read it as "We didn't even get as much a couple days ago" wherein I omitted the pivotal AS before "a couple days ago."

As they used to say... My bad. Oops.

Tink said...

What is all that white stuff Foo? Can you eat it? It looks like pancake flakes? ;)

Anne said...

I think it's just too funny that you "hollered to" your neighbor.

I need to post our snow pictures - it was great! So many people don't know how to drive in it though. We even saw snow plows in ditches. Whatever!

Foo said...

@Anne: I could've said “gave a shout out to my homey”, but A) no one would believe I talk that way, B) I'm embarrassed to admit I don't really know the guy, and C) there is no C.

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...