27 March, 2008

Rockin' the red

The last time I can remember the WKU men's basketball team getting this far in the NCAA tournament was in the last century. I was living in Dallas in 1992. WKU alumni made up about a third of the 80 or so employees at the company where I worked. My best buddy from college lived on the other side of town, but he came over and joined the bunch of us to watch the game at Joe Willy's and cheer on the team.

I still remember feeling that WKU was robbed, more or less literally beaten by a Florida team whose full-contact style of play went largely unpenalized by the officials.

Sixteen years later, Joe Willy's is gone – locked out of their building for non-payment of their lease, according to one report. I've lost touch with most of the WKU folks who used to be my coworkers. My college buddy and I are both married and overworked, so I'll be on my own for tonight's game – assuming the network doesn't replace it with some other game I couldn't care less about.

That's why I was so excited when I got home from work and discovered the package that had come in the mail from my mom and dad. Curious, I opened it up and pulled out a very red t-shirt commemorating my alma mater's return to the Sweet 16. I was so touched by the gesture that I promptly put on my t-shirt, trotted out my Red Towel and my Big Red drink hugger, and had Turtle snap this pre-enactment shot of me rooting for the Hilltoppers.

Epilogue

The game started 40 minutes later than scheduled, and our local programming carried UofL and Tennessee as the primary game. I got to watch the first half on my computer before having to go to bed, but WKU was always outmatched by UCLA.

At least I have my commemorative t-shirt.

6 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

Great shirt.

Well, at least you got to watch part of it!

Lou said...

It has been a very interesting year in the both the man and women's tournament. Hard to believe we may have 4 #1 seeds in the Final Four.
So sorry about WKU, but they definitely met the UCLA speeding train and got run over...

Anonymous said...

Greatness.

Also... Go Tigers Go!

Hey, are you doing the Tour Dallas ride next weekend?

Tink said...

You look like you sat on a hot coal. Hehe.

Anne said...

love the pic!

Foo said...

@janie: I think I would have been more upset over not getting to see the whole game if it had been closer.

@lou: Speeding train indeed.

@tink: That's because I'm such an excellent actor (three degrees to Kevin Bacon, by the way). The picture was staged.

@chip: No Tour Dallas for me. I'll probably do the Plano East ride in the morning and then do what I can to help Turtle get ready for the MS 1.5 event (for the kiddies) on Sunday.

@anne: Thanks. I forgot I even had that filling.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...