24 March, 2008

Stuff it

(I admit it. This started as a comment on another blog, but these days I have to fan my faint sparks of inspiration as I find them.)

I ended up having to spend most of the long weekend working, but on general principal refused to crack open the work laptop on Easter. So, while I was flipping channels, trying to find something interesting to watch while waiting for the NCAA game between WKU and USD* to come on, I stumbled on an infomercial for some sort of… well, kind of like a grilled panini maker. Just the sort of thing that looked really cool and easy to use but which would probably sit in the back of some closet until meeting its ignoble end in a garage sale 15 years down the road.

But it wasn't the panini iron that piqued my interest. When they got to the “But wait! There’s more!” part of the spiel, one of the bonus items offered to entice the unwary impulse buyer was a “filling injector” – a sort of large gauge syringe that purported to be the ultimate solution for filling cupcakes with sugary goo, hot dogs with cheez whiz, and…

Well, perhaps it’s best not to dwell on some of the other possible uses.

Anyway, I got to thinking about a discussion Turtle and I had had a couple days earlier about the pros and cons of solid chocolate Easter bunnies vs. the hollow ones. She prefers the solid ones, which she likes to chop into chunks and tuck away, Dahmer style, in the freezer. I prefer the hollow ones because they're easier to eat without dislodging a tooth and, really, what 47-year-old man really needs anything to be solid chocolate?

Filling injector. Hollow chocolate Easter bunny. Marshmallow cream. Chocolate Easter bunny filled with marshmallow cream. Makes you want to throw up just thinking about it, doesn’t it? Or run up the wall, across the ceiling, out the door, and around the house about a dozen times to work off the sugar buzz.

* As listed on ESPN's web site, it was supposed to be on CBS; but the local affiliate apparently decided that the game between Miami and Texas would be more interesting.

9 comments:

Bee said...

Filling injector? Like the cheese filled crust at Pizza Hut.

As you can imagine, one can never feel bloated enough when eating regular pizza.

Turtle is a very smart woman. (sold chocolate...hmmmmm)

Bee said...

Sold? Oops. How about "solid"?

Foo said...

@Bee: I knew that you really meant "Chocobunny? Solid? Sold!"

WV: I don't know what "mpuxtr" might mean, but saying it under my breath while I'm still the only one on my floor who's arrived at the office makes me giggle.

Anonymous said...

We saw that same ad the other night. Beth guessed ahead of time that some sort of filling injector would be offered along with it.

And THIS 47-year-old man needs his solid chocolate bunny. Every year. From Heggy's.

Beth was a little late getting to the store this year. I got one that weighs 4 pounds! Guess I chose the wrong century to try to lose some weight!

Eric Siegmund said...

what 47 year old man really needs anything to be solid chocolate?

Needs? Needs?! What does that have to do with it?

Anne said...

Like you, I prefer the hollow bunny. AND, I'm a big fan of the filling injector - I love filling... filling my face, that is.

Mrs. Higrens said...

It must be said that we have disposed of un-toothed chocolate bunnies in October (to make room for the Halloween candy) more than one year in a row.

Something must be wrong with us.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the injector, but could you just get it all loaded up and point it directly towards the inside of your cheeks? You know, bypassing the bunny, pizza crust, and other assorted fillable food stuffs. Sort of like squirting chocolate syrup straight from the bottle into your mouth and following it with a spoon of ice cream and a cherry.

Foo said...

I think I just got a cavity from reading you guys' comments.

WV: "yogqa" Smoke testing the new exercise/flexibility training program.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...