14 December, 2008

The Thyroid Diaries: Part 9 of 9

17 May, 2002

Good news today. I had my full-body scan, and the verdict came back alles klar ('all clear'). What a enormous load off my mind and a relief for all those who care about me and have been praying for just such a result.

Of course, I had to get the information from one of the other doctors. Mine was 'out of town', which was just as well, as far as I'm concerned. God help him to see more clearly, not only for the collective sake of his patients, but also for his own. I get the distinct impression from my HR person and the insurance adjuster she's been working with through all this that the doctor's refusal to cooperate puts his status in the Private Health Care System (the PPO network my employer uses) in question. I think that the only reason some sort of protest hasn't already been filed is that it would cause me more problems, and that the moment I shift to a different doctor, this guy's got some 'splainin' to do.

Today

It's been over seven years since my initial diagnosis. Since then, I've been through three endocrinologists (due to changes in my employers' insurance plans) and three full-body scans. I've gotten married, built a new home, and moved to another town. The company I've worked for since 1990 has been been acquired twice. Since my surgery and treatment I've taken up cycling, have owned four different bicycles, and have ridden one of them in two MS 150s.

I'm still cancer free, by God's grace, and everyone except the life insurance underwriters consider me cured.

6 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

You go, Foo.

Mrs. Higrens said...

This has been really interesting to read.

Congrats on 7 years!

Anne said...

Wonderful news! We always like good news.

Bret said...

I've enjoyed your thyroid travelogue. My thyroid journey was way back in 1978-79; I was relatively fortunate -- Graves Disease, not cancer, meaning my thyroid decided to join me in teenage rebellion and stopped listening to the pituitary. And started cranking up the volume. In a checkup, my BP was 190/35, and the doc said my heartbeat was so loud in the stethoscope he couldn't swear by the 35.

Long story short, I did the surgery thing, too, but not the radioactive bombing (something about genetic mutations in my children, too late for that now...) and I always enjoy putting down "3-inch scar at base of neck" when filling out security forms that ask for "distinguishing marks."

The pathway to a stable dose of replacement hormone was indeed entertaining, but a very small price to pay for an otherwise unaffected life. WV: hopol, which I'm pretty sure I tried once, but was allergic to.

Eric Siegmund said...

I'm also glad to hear this report. I've dealt with some minor thyroid issues myself in the past (VERY minor, compared to Bret's and especially to yours). It's amazing the mischief that little guy can generate.

Many blessings to you and yours, amigo!

Foo said...

Thanks, guys. I've been blessed.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...