06 December, 2008

On the 21st century bandwagon

Q: What's small, blue, and full of everything from Benny Goodman and baroque allegros to The Offspring's Hammerhead?
A: My new iPod Nano.

That's right: after reading about all of you and your fancy-schmancy music devices (and frequently talking about one for myself), I finally caught a sale at Best Buy and picked one up. It's not my birthday yet, and Turtle and I aren't really planning a lot of shopping for this Christmas; but I figured it was fair trade for the time I've spent this year coding contact forms for a couple of her clients' web sites.

All I can say is that it's pretty cool – and much tinier than I'd expected. So tiny, in fact, that when I listened to it at work using my Sony V6 headphones, the weight of the cord kept dragging the iPod off my desk. I promptly had Turtle pick me up a rubberized sleeve to give the Nano some traction and to keep from scratching the case if it did slide.

Meanwhile, I've been busy going through my hundreds of CDs and ripping the one or two worthwhile tracks from the many of them that turned out to be crap, otherwise. I've filled about three of the eight gigabytes so far, and while I don't know how many days' worth of music that translates to, I'm betting it's quite a bit. I can hardly wait 'til I get around to putting the bike on the trainer for the first time this winter without having to set up my huge, late '80s boom box just to have some tunes. I'm thinking the “Thrash 'n' Burn” play list will be just the thing.

4 comments:

Kevin3NF said...

iPod = greatest thing to trainer riding since...the trainer :)

Lou said...

Glad you are enjoying it, Mike. I hope to get one fairly soon.

Bee said...

Now you will wonder how you did without it. :)

I highly recommend one of those velcro arm band 'holders' for ipods. It works outstandingly well on a bike or treadmill, especially keeping the cord from entanglements.

As my kids say, "rock on, freaky bro".

Foo said...

@Kevin: You're dangerous enough on a bike, what with that ‘Look Ma, no hands!” thing of yours. I'd better not catch you riding anything but a trainer with your iPod.

@Bee: I figure I'll get an arm band eventually, but I've read bad reviews on so many of them – most having to do with the plastic covering being too think to work the controls – and will probably make do without, for now. I don't jog, I won't be doing any yard work until Spring, and I would never, ever ride my bike while listening. Except on the trainer, and then it will be easy enough to just tuck the player in my jersey pocket.

I now have “2 days” of tunes on my 'Pod, mostly ripped from a small sampling of the shelves of CDs I already own.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...