14 September, 2006

Recumbents are s-l-o-w. Right?

Not. All.

I usually try to refrain from posts that are nothing more than links to other blogs' postings about things on other web sites, but I had to make an exception since this is something many of my visitors would never stumble across, on their own.

Over on The Recumbent Blog, Alan has posted a video clip from Fast Freddy Markham's recent record-breaking ride. As a participant in the Nissan One Hour Challenge, Markham pedaled his ultra-aerodynamic, fully-enclosed recumbent bike for an hour and covered 53.43 miles.

Considering that the chainring on this bike was the size of a serving platter, it probably took Markham a couple minutes to get up to full speed. If, by definition, he averaged 53.43 miles an hour, I just wonder how fast he was going at the time the video clip was shot.

1 comment:

Turtle said...

Do you think I had one of those covers I'd get any faster???? Pretty kewl.

- Turtle

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...