12 September, 2006

The butterfly effect

I think we've established that I'm kind of an ornery, cynical cuss. This extends to my willful resistance to most television adverts, and I rarely remember the name of the company for even the ones I find amusing. I laugh out loud at the bankers' pen and the identity theft ads, but I have no idea whom they represent. I'm kind of over the talking gecko (Turtle's favorite), but the dorm-room-refrigerator-sized chocolate brownie with arms and legs cracks me up.

One recent exception to my advertising ennui is a Liberty Mutual ad that depicts various people performing small, random acts of kindness, which the recpients then pass on by performing their own random acts of kindness.



Every time it comes on, I have to stop what I'm doing and watch. It's such a positive message that I can't help but be affected by it. Do I believe that Liberty Mutual is more prone to "do the right thing" than any other insurance company? No. But I give full props to whatever agency came up with this pocket-size version of Pay It Forward.

I'm thinking I need to start off each morning by watching this, just to get me started on the right foot.

9 comments:

Turtle said...

Perhaps I'm rubbing off on you? Whatever the case, thanks for sharing, honey.

Tink said...

I love this commercial. No matter how many times I see it, I'm transfixed when it comes on.

Jenn said...

that is sweet. I waited to see someone seeing a good deed done and turn around and do something mean. Do I need therapy?

by the way, you have to check out this blog. SMART and FUNNY STUFF.

Anonymous said...

Cool commercial, have not seen it on the tube yet. Pay It Forward was a neat movie, I don't now if the ending was needed. The commercial did its job though, you remember Liberty Mutual and passed their name/commercial on. Foo - a cog in the wheel of mass media. Personal favorite - the Tabasco Super Bowl Commercial with the Mesquito and the Fly getting zapped with a defibulator.

Bret said...

Beats watching Jim Nabors singing a duet with Leslie Uggams.

Anne said...

I've seen that commercial - I like it a lot. I'm also with you on the "laughing-out-loud" at the identity theft commercials. I'm laughing right now just thinking about it.

Foo said...

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the video. It's the first time I've embedded something like that, and I waffled a bit over whether I should embed it or just link to it.

Cheryl: you can rub me any time you want.

Tink: Yup. It's pretty compelling, not the least of which because the reactions and expressions of the people witnessing and on the receiving end of the good deeds seem so genuine.

Emma: I don't know if you need therapy or not, but I think you've just outdone me in the cynicism department. And thanks for the link.

Vortex: A cog, huh? You don't think of me as The Big Ring? The Tabasco ad you mentioned is a good one, and I cracked up the first two or three times I saw it. I don't recall anything with a fly and a defibrillator.

Bret: Dude, what is this business with Leslie Uggams [giggle] anyway? I must've missed a post. All I know is that the name "Uggams" [giggle] has made me giggle ever since I was a little kid. How old is that woman anyway??

Anne: I think my favorite ID theft ad is the one with the two "old ladies" talking about the motorcycles they bought with their ill-gotten gains. That and the one with the Asian woman with the lounge lizard voice talking about getting a full-body wax. But I never can remember which bank those ads represent.

Bret said...

Dude, you said "Uggams."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBXWmfs2U28

Foo said...

Okay, you got me. I watched the video.

a) I'd forgotten what an attractive woman Leslie was.
b) I don't know what show that was from, but their rendition sounded like something from a guest spot on Sesame Street.
c) I would rather listen to the neighborhood kids shrieking up and down the street than to listen to that again.
d) I found the hotel lobby paintings in the background more disconcerting than the performance.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...