04 December, 2006

It's official: I'm a fogey

After spending all day off work and pretty much all day doing pro bono web monkey things*, I emerged from my cave and discovered I had an hour to kill before it was time for Heroes. I began flipping channels. Deal Or No Deal on NBC. Yech. King of Queens on CBS. I like Kevin Whatshisname, but... enh. Billboard Music Awards on Fox. Janet Jackson was on, and I'd just like to say "yikes".

I used to be a mild fan (an oxymoron, technically), back a ways. I even own a well-worn copy of Rhythm Nation 1814... but oh my stars and garters, what happened to Janet? She was up on stage with a bunch of growling gangstas and a huge lighted sign that read "S.E.X." The sound kept going off for five seconds at a time, and I thought there was something wrong with the idiot box until it dawned on me that the network was muting large chunks of Ms. Jackson's performance.

Disgusted, I went back to flipping and landed on ABC and a spirited performance by a Baptist choir on Gospel Jubilee. Now, I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but I was amused to realize that I was finding it more entertaining than Janet Jackson's koochie show.

Still curious, I flipped back to the Billboard awards just in time to see Nellie Furtado win an award for "Promiscuous", off her latest album... Loose.

Mein Gott. I realized it was all I could do to keep from channeling my grandfather's trademarked "I don't know what the world's coming to."


* Except for a worthwhile two hours spent re-watching Miracle. I'm pleased to say that the U.S. team won again.

5 comments:

Tink said...

*Snatches soap box away* I'm 23 and I have white hair sprouting up everywhere. Ok so not EVERYWHERE. Just on my head, but still. I think my inner age is finally corrupting my outer age. *sigh*

P.S. I don't think anyone gets Janet anymore.

Gwynne said...

A bunch of hooligans, to quote my grandfather! And why would Janet do that her first public performance after the "wardrobe malfunction?"

I found myself watching some documentary on the history of the Free Masons. I'm right there with you in the "fogey" department. ;-)

Foo said...

Tink: I bet you're working on one o'them sexy white patches, like Rogue. And don't be so quick to throw around the word "everywhere" until you have to mow your nostrils every couple weeks.

Gwynne: I missed a documentary on the Free Masons??! Now I'm bummed. Seriously. It probably was on at the same time as Heroes but I would have taped it.

I sure hope I don't miss the one about the Illuminati...

Anne said...

It was gonna happen sooner or later. Welcome to the Fogey Club.

Lou said...

"Do you believe in miracles?" YES!
As Ken Dryden mutters "Unbelievable"

Still brings a shudder and a tear to this old man!

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...