09 July, 2007

Lost in translation

I'm often impressed with Google's language translation service. Sometimes, I'm amazed—but not by the accuracy of the results.

I've mentioned in passing that some of the work I'm doing involves Unicode support. Since I don't speak or write Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, or any of the other language that requires characters outside the ISO-8859-1 code page character set, I've been tapping Google for some test data.

Sometimes the results are rather interesting, as in the case of this Arabic translation of a well-known children's rhyme:

ماري كان قليلا الحمل. عن ابتزاز الابيض الذي كان الثلج. في كل مكان ذهبت ماري، انالحملكان متأكداان نسلكه.

...which Google translates back to English as...

Mary had a little pregnancy.
The blackmail was Snow White.
Everywhere I went Mary, that the pregnancy was sure to go.


I know we're seen as infidels and all, but that spin seems just a bit cynical, even to me.

More disturbing, perhaps, is the fact that the phrase "I like monkeys because they taste like chicken" makes the round trip from English to Arabic and back with no problem.


Now playing: Spock's Beard, Snow

7 comments:

Gwynne said...

ROTFL...are you sure you weren't using Gizoogle? Snow White must be Mary's baby's daddy's ho, you think?

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness...that is funny. In light of the engrish stationary I found at the bookstore

Jenn said...

Snow White? Wasn't she on The Maury Povich Show?

Foo said...

I also find it oddly amusing to translate the phrase "God bless America" into Arabic.

Gwynne: I don't know nothin' 'bout no dwarfs' ho. But you could be right.

Doozer: I saw your stationery. It made me raugh.

Emma: I've never watched Maury, but if he's anything like Jerry Springer, the guest you saw was probably an "adult entertainer" using Snow White as an ironic stage name.

Jenn said...

haha, no, I rarely watch TV and don't fear, I won't touch those shows, but doesn't Maury do the 'DNA Testing: Who's Your Fourth Baby's Daddy?" [cue music: DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN]

Tink said...

LMAO! Omg, that's the funniest thing I've heard/seen all week.

Eric Siegmund said...

I blame Al Qaeda.

Which, I believe, Google translates as "men with restricted bloodflow."

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...