22 July, 2007

Ride report: Tour de Paris (Paris, TX)

The 90-mile drive to Paris in the pre-dawn hour was a little spooky because of heavy fog along the way, but the day dawned sunny and clear. I rolled into the Paris High School parking lot at a little after 7am, started unloading my gear, and immediately started streaming sweat. As I was preparing to leave the house, I couldn't decide between a short-sleeved jersey and a sleeveless one. I was glad I'd brought both and chose the sleeveless.

At a little after 7:30, I'd finished with my preparations—sunblock, HRM, bike assembled—and gave The Stradas a call. They were still about 15 minutes from the high school and unlikely to be ready to go by start time, so I went ahead and began making my way toward the starting line.

A few minutes before 8:00, the organizers made a few remarks and then handed the microphone over to a gentleman introduced as Lance Armstrong's dad. He went on for a couple minutes about how the Tour de France didn't hold quite the same interest for him as it had in years past. The riders laughed, but I was distracted. I seemed to recall that Lance didn't have any kind of relationship with his father and referred to him as "the DNA donor." It seemed rather... uninformed for the Tour de Paris organizers to have this guy as a special guest when Lance Armstrong didn't even acknowledge him. Turns out I was the uninformed one, though. When I got home, I looked it up and discovered Terry Armstrong is Lance's step-father—and one who's obviously quite proud of his adopted son, at that.

Aaanyway... we got off promptly at 8:00 and, because I'd managed to find a spot toward the front of the group, I had very little of the claustrophobia I experienced last year, at the start. Last year, I was toward the back with all the wobblies; this year, I was up with the hammerheads. We took off, and most of the folks around me coalesced into several pace lines. Those who didn't rode in a predictably, orderly fashion, and in no time at all I was in clear air. At least, I was in clear air until I caught up with one of the pace lines, which was writhing back and forth across the entire width of the lane. So I passed them. And then I passed another. I finished the first 10 miles with an average speed of 21 mph.

Between miles 10 and 20, the pace lines reeled me in again. As they passed, one of the guys smirked and said, "Guess you're not as as fast as you thought, huh?" I told him that I reckoned I could keep up the pace just fine, if I'd been sitting on and sucking wheel all day, instead of going it alone. He just grunted and sucked on past.

When I made my first stop at mile 30, I had an average of 20.4 mph, but it was starting to heat up. The roads were rougher than I'd remembered them from last year, and I'd come to the realization that I might have mismanaged my resources on the first half. I hung around at the stop for longer than I normally would have done, hoping to hook up with the bunch of RBENT folks I thought were supposed to be in attendance. Corsa Ken arrived after a bit, but no sign of The Stradas or anyone else, so I took off before my legs got any stiffer.

I could tell I was fading. Though there were no serious climbs on the route (and no rollers of consequence until we hit Rt. 19), my legs felt rubbery on every incline. I went into conservation mode, spinning more and tucking everything in on the slight downhills to get aero and conserve energy. Still, I must have been doing better than some people. Somewhere around mile 35, I picked up a tail and towed a very fit-looking young fellow on a cyclocross bike for about 5 miles before he peeled off at a rest stop. He expressed his appreciation but never offered to take a pull. The moral? Don't let any DF rider tell you that he can't get a draft off a recumbent.

At mile 50, I "had" to stop again. I needed pickle juice and a few minutes off the bike in front of the gasoline-powered cooling fan that was set up there. Corsa Ken showed up a few minutes later, and Steve Strada shortly after that.

Steve was looking strong and only stopped because we yelled at him. So strong, in fact, that when we headed out again, I could tell that I was holding him back. Once we got into the final stretch and the rollers, I admitted to him that I was cooked and that he shouldn't let me hold him back. He didn't. Meanwhile, I continued on in energy conservation mode, feeling every one of the days during June when I should have been riding and getting stronger... but hadn't.

And yet, as I was grinding my teeth and spinning my way up one climb, I passed a DF rider in a Rolling Stones jersey.

"Hey," he said. "I'll toss you a rope and you can pull me, okay?"

"Good luck with that," I told him, but I was thinking, Up yours. This Little Engine That Could is through towing roadies for the day. He passed me, but I caught him (and passed him) once we made the turn on to the smooth straight stretch leading to the high school. "No fair!" he called out, laughing. "You're coasting!"

I dug in and cranked it up to 23 mph, trying to bring my average up a tick from 18.9 to 19, but I never quite made it. That said, "nearly 19" is a new record for me at any distance, so I mark it as a good day. My heart rate monitor showed that I'd averaged 165 bpm (86% of my maximum) for the duration of the ride.

Special congratulations go out to dallasbikr, who finished 100K on a fixie with an 18+ average. Dude, you're sick!

13 comments:

EZ Biker said...

Re: "I could keep up the pace just fine, if I'd been sitting on and sucking wheel all day, instead of going it alone"

ALRIGHT! My kind of response!!!! Excellent ride report Mr. Foo! 8 AM start? YIKES! I'm getting into more ZOMBIE cycling, starting at 4 AM... ;-) * EZ Biker :-)

That Janie Girl said...

Man. I commend you for riding...you rock!

Bret said...

I gotta get me a recumbent. My legs feel it at 19 mph for 3 minutes, let alone 3 hours.

Time to get back on the bike, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Slakers.

Foo, your ride report makes it sound like you had a much tougher time than in the picture you painted me. No wonder you were a zombie at dinner Saturday night. Great job.

Although I didn't partake in Tour de Paris this year (as I'd hoped), I had my own weekly Turtle de Allen Rally. Nothing new, I know, but even I got in a measly 17+ miles touring the hood. It's all in yer heads, so get out and ride! So guys...where were ya?

Get out and ride!!!

Allez said...

How come you always run into jerks on your rides??? Gross, pickle juice. Did you see one of the rest stops had pickle slices. The smell alone made me gag.

Lance Notstrong said...

That's why I didn't see you until lunch time.....you were out front all day long.

Allez's right, you're always running into some ass clown :-)

Eric Siegmund said...

Nearly 19 is nothing to complain about, ever (unless it's all downhill with a tailwind, in which case you're dead and riding in heaven, so it doesn't matter anyway).

Foo said...

EZ: I just couldn't help myself. Everyone in that paceline looked like they were so relaxed.

Janie: Thanks, but no commendation's in order. Selfish, really. I'm helping myself to stay healthy and having fun at the same time.

Bret: So what'd you do? Quit after you finished your MS 150? Or are you really as busy as the dust on your blog suggests? My sympathies, if the latter.

Turtle sweetie: I wasn't holding out on you. I thought I told you the same things as I posted in the ride report.

Allez 'n' Lance: Sorry if I've given the impression that all I see are people busting my chops, 'cause that's not the case. The guy who drafted me was quite amiable and chatty, and I almost hated to leave him. The guy who wanted me to throw him a rope was laughing as he suggested it, and I was smiling when I responded. Even the guy in the paceline probably thought he was being funny, although it does sometimes seem like people feel freer to say condescending things like that to me since I went bent. Most folks seem more amused by our goofy bikes than threatened.

Some mavericks, like dallasbikr, actually hang out on our RBENT forum!

And yes, Lance, I was farther out there than I can remember being before. It was exciting, but I don't think I'd want to do it all the time. Too much work, and I miss out on visiting with my friends!

Eric: Hey, I'm not complaining. It was a landmark! Now all I have to do is get my century out of the way, and I can just take it easy.

Tink said...

You should have bumped the dude who said you weren't as fast as you thought. But that's just me. I went to too many amusement parks as a kid. ;)

Lou said...

Sounds as though you did pretty well, Mike.
Good luck in the next ride.

Jenn said...

wow, that was fun to read. Glad you had a good ride.

Anne said...

Hey, you're gettin' as bad as me. Where's a new post. :)

That Janie Girl said...

Here's you a new post...you've been tagged, Texas boy! Check out my blog to follow the rules.

BTW, I'll be in your area July 16-19 at a shoot, let's all hook up for coffee/tea/water!

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...