10 November, 2005

Classic? That's antique!

As you may have gleaned from an earlier installment, I have a bit of a distraction issue with the various nasal tics and personal telephone conversations that waft over the walls of my cubicle throughout the day. Receiving (and now expecting) no sympathy from my handlers, I took matters into my own hands and bought a nice pair of around-the-ear noise-canceling headphones. I just slap them on and pop in a music CD to make all disgustingness and the bonfire of inanities go away.

But here's the thing: I haven't been buying more than a couple CDs a year since getting married in 2002, so I've been cycling through my sizable back collection. The other day, I had on KISS: Alive! and was thinking how it still sounded good to me after all these years. Curious, I peeked at the copyright notice to see how many years and was stunned when I was reminded that this title that was all the rage when I was a freshman in high school came out in 1975. Thirty years ago!

That rattled me a bit, so I switched over to something "current". I should have left well enough alone, but I looked at its copyright and was somewhat surprised to be reminded that Soundgarden's Down On The Upside has been out for nine years now.

It may be time to break down and buy the latest White Stripes album, if only to keep from feeling like I'm sliding into Classic Rock hell.

Now playing: Marillion, Afraid Of Sunlight.

No comments:

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...