21 November, 2005

Monday update

Yeah, I know: uninspired title. Moving on.

What a nice weekend. Neck's still bothering me, so I wasn't able to ride for any significant distance; but I did go out on my mountain bike with the PBA 16-mile novice ride. Finally, the weather felt like autumn with starting temperature around 48°F. Several of us were chuckling about the relative lack of conversation. Just the sound of sniffling and clicking of freewheels. Afterward, I popped in to Einstein's Bagels for a bite to eat and some hot coffee. The place was hopping, as always, and I plopped myself down at the first free place I could find. I ended up having a nice conversation with a guy who noticed the cyclists often came in on Saturday and asked about our rides.

Saturday evening, Sweetie and I dug through our closets to find something non-chalantly dressy to wear for our second pre-holiday party of the season. The hosts are friends of ours from the bike club, but the guests were a pleasantly eclectic bunch. Lots of cyclists, of course, but also neighbors and local politicians. It was an enjoyable evening, and when we made it back home around 11:30, I made sure to point out to my wife that it was past 10:00 on a Saturday night and I wasn't falling asleep yet. I think she's going to have some sort of plaque made up.

Sunday, we more or less lay around the place. I did some online car shopping, caught up on e-mail, and ran the vacuum to give the appearance of contributing to the running of the household. But mainly I enjoyed knowing that when we crawled into bed after watching Gray's Anatomy I wouldn't need to turn on the alarm. I have the entire coming week off from work!

Which is not to say that there won't be catch-up doctors' appointments, vet appointments, shopping for a new string trimmer, and weatherproofing the fence—but at least I don't have to fight my way into Dallas and back every morning and afternoon.

No comments:

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...