18 February, 2006

A couple quarts low

I couldn't remember what percentage of the human body is supposed to be made up of water, so I looked it up. 50-60%. Higher for men.

Arguably lower after a day like I had yesterday.

But I'm back and feeling much better. Sitting under the afghan my mom made some 27 years ago for me to take to college, steadily sipping diluted Gatorade, and watching as die Schweizer make the Canadian hockey team work for it. There's a winter storm warning for our area today, which means all those tall, tall Dallas overpasses will turn into ice chutes. What a perfect excuse to take it easy, watch some winter sports, rehydrate, and recuperate.

I want to return to the subject of curling for a moment. By the time Sweetie rolled in after an all day networking boot camp, I'd already watched the American women's curling team lose, taken a couple naps, and watched the women's hockey team lose to Sweden.

"What are you watching?" she asked. "Curling??"

"Yeah," I croaked.

I'd lost my voice sometime during the day.

"What a stupid game."

"What? No! It's fascinating," I said. "It's the perfect geek sport."

"Riiight..."

"No, really. Look, you've got all these very delicate laws of physics in play with the mass and velocity of the stone and the friction of the ice. You've got the physical conditioning of the madly sweeping sweepers and the strength and flexibility of the... of... the guy who slides the stones. Then there's the strategy of chess and the geometry of billiards."

Sweetie glanced at the TV and thought about this for a moment while watching the stone make its way slowly down the sheet of ice toward the "house".

"That's not a sport. It's an activity."

"Leave me alone. I'm sick."

7 comments:

Anne said...

Sounds like somebody has had the stomach bug. Yuck! Hope you get to feeling better soon.

By the way, it's not a sport to me either.

Tink said...

No, the perfect "geek sport" is Professional Dodgeball. I watch it on TV sometimes and wish I were more coordinated.

Lou said...

Well - I will have to disagree with sweetie and suzie - curling IS the ultimate geek sport - and I love it.

Turtle said...

I don't disagree...it IS the perfect geek "sport." But it's still NOT a sport. Chess isn't a sport. Bowling isn't a sport. Lemme see 'em sweat and show some physical endurance. THAT is sport!!!!

Suzy-Q said...

the first time i saw it i laughed out loud...that ice sweeper guy had me heehawing!

Jenn said...

feel better foo.

emer-gen-c is great for kicking a cold or flu. I get my share of bugs around here with the four sets of little petrie dishes I call children's hands.

Anne said...

Okay Foo - enough is enough. We're all hangin' out waiting for a sign of life.

Did you dry up and wither away from dehydration?

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...