14 February, 2006

Happy VD

Am I the only one who's ever abbreviated (initialized? acronymized?) "Valentine's Day" and noticed that it shares a set of monogrammed towels and washcloths with "venereal disease"?

That's not what this post is about. However, in a blinding flash of synchronicity, it turns out that what prompted it also begins with the letter "V".

Yesterday, I was preparing to launch another in a long string of e-mails to the head honcho of the group for whom I've been doing all this web work. We were putting the finishing touches on a document I'd added to the site, and I was asking him if he thought it needed some additional verbiage to clarify a point.

Wait. Is it "verbiage", or "verbage"? I can't remember.

Off to Merriam-Webster Online (which, in itself, is a tempting topical tangent waiting to happen... but I'll resist).

So, I arrive at MWO, and the proprietors have my word in stock. Sometimes they don't, or it's a special word that requires a subscription, but today I find my word and my word is, in fact, "verbiage". And then I notice it:


Is it just me, or does Ads by Google's choice of sponsors seem just a little out of place on our venerable dictionary publisher's page?

Thank God I wasn't looking up "valentine" at the time. I might have been psychologically scarred.

No comments:

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...