26 February, 2006

Weekend update

This one's been a keeper on a number of levels, not the least of which being that I'm not sick any more.
  1. I vacuumed the house (as promised), including using the attachments on the baseboards. For the bonus round, I donned the hazmat suit and put the smackdown scrubdown on the shower.
  2. Schlepped out in the rain with Sweetie to finally rework our cellular plan and replace those six year old boat anchor phones we've been using. I don't need the blasted thing to play Bach's fugue in D minor as a personalized ring for when Sweetie calls. Having the ability to snap pictures with the phone while on a bike ride and beam them home to my wife would be cool, but we can't justify the expense of it just now. Still... the point is that we've got the phones for it now.
  3. Trainer? We don't need no steenking trainer. It was 60 flipping degrees out today! I hopped on Ol' Stumpy and rode out to Allen Station to watch the kids practicing roller hockey, then back for about 14.5 miles round trip. I didn't push the pace, but I felt pretty darned good considering I was flat on my back all last weekend and hadn't even done a trainer ride in 20 days. BONUS: I'm starting physical therapy tomorrow, so I'm hoping that will work out and I'll be able to start logging some serious miles again.
  4. Ever since I got into cycling a few years ago, I've been hearing how Breaking Away is sort of de rigeur, but I only got around to watching it today. It was fun, and cheesy, and weird seeing Dennis Quaid and Daniel Stern as babies. Not as entertaining as The Triplets of Belleville, for my money, but I'm weird that way.
  5. All quiet on the volunteer webmaster front. I guess all the players rained in yesterday and out playing in the sun today.
In other words, I had a great weekend.

On the down side, I saw on the news this morning that the Dena Schlosser trial has ended in a mistrial. Oh, I thought. I guess someone couldn't just couldn't be persuaded that Schlosser was guilty. But no. The two holdouts were the guilty votes. Amazing.

There is no doubt in my mind that there's a place for the insanity defense, but not when the insanity is self inflicted.

If you go off your meds and you start having crazy thoughts, don't seek help, and then end up murdering your children, I put you in the same class as the person who goes out, gets blind drunk, and then kills the same children with his car on the drive home. Both can argue that they weren't in their right mind, and that's true; but how did they get that way? The drunk chose to drink and drive. The insane woman went off her meds and started seeing demons in her baby girl.

It's the same thing to me, which is why I'll never have to worry that I might be selected to sit on the jury for a trial such as this one.

2 comments:

Bret said...

So you've seen the Random Wife, then! You have to look closely, but she's there in a couple of the crowd scenes of "Breaking Away."

Foo said...

So that was her. Cool.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...