23 February, 2006

Wanted: mental flotsam

I've been back to the blog several times over the past few days and even contemplated writing something.

But here's the thing: my schtick (or what I think is my schtick) is plucking random bits of cognitive flotsam from the stream of consciousness and writing about them in a wordy, mouthy, playfully cynical manner. Which is great, when those things come along; not so great when they don't.

Right now, my stream of consciousness is a mere trickle.

Is this the result of mental drought conditions? No. At least, I don't think so.

I suspect a certain passive-aggressive beaver has been at work upstream, damming my cerebral streamlet with chunks of PHP code cemented with expiring domain registrations. I could snipe and grouse about that, or I could talk about the new PDA Sweetie bought me so I could keep track of all my doctor/physical therapy appointments. I could talk about how frequently I'm not riding my bike. I could ruminate on how all the daily details and demands have been spinning my head lately.

Let's face it: that stuff's just not even particularly interesting to me, much less the blogosphere.

[mode: randomize]

And for the record, it turns out my pop is fascinated by curling, too. When I mentioned this to Sweetie, she pursed her lips and nodded knowingly, as if to say The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I should be so lucky as to turn out half the man—half the husband—my father is.

[mode: randomize]

I did hear this great joke the other day, but it's a little on the bawdy side so cover the small ones' eyes.
A man walks into his bedroom with a sheep under his arm and says, "Darling, this is the pig I have sex with when you have a headache."

His girlfriend is lying in bed and replies, "I think you'll find that's a sheep, you idiot."

The man says, "I think you'll find I wasn't talking to you."

Now playing: Def Leppard, High 'n' Dry

6 comments:

Jenn said...

So you come on over to my blog and start bein' all computer smart-like in what I would consider more than a cognitive trickle. The grey matter appreared to dance tolerably well. 'Groove' even.

6 years ago I knew almost nothing about computers. I never took a class but my typical type 'A' personality has afforded me the pursuit and love of all things CPU. I ask lots of questions including the one that comes to mind.

What kind of coding do you do? Binary coding? ER coding? I perceive both are equally detrimental to your health and/or your tan.

By the way,
I feel great anxiety at your precariously perched parrot and pray his death grip continues to hold.

WV: "XJBAC"
Opposite of X your front

Foo said...

Oh sure, Suzie. It's all about you.

FYI, I do check your blog, but the bottom line is that I don't know anything about social work. If I did, I might not be so jammed up about the passive-aggressive web person.

And, if you hadn't turned off your word verification, I could at least swing by and make up funny comments about those. Ask Jenny.

"rhqeq". Um... sorry. Could I have a Kleenex® please?

Foo said...

Erm... Suzie? The passive-aggressive person I was talking about is the former webmaster of the site I've been helping out with. Not you.

What I meant is that if I knew something about social work, I might not be having so much trouble with this guy.

I wouldn't presume to have any idea about your history, and if I did I sure wouldn't be poking at your hot buttons in a blog comment.

Foo said...

Ah. Now I see.

Well, I guess the beaver is symbolic in the sense that he's not really a beaver, but the web guy it represents is quite real. He has ultimate control over the site's domain name and the server on which it currently resides, but he won't return any phone calls or e-mails. This, despite his apparent enthusiasm for working with me the one time I spoke with him on the phone.

Isn't that pretty much the definition of passive-aggressive behavior? The sad thing is that I don't even know what he's disgruntled about.

Anyway, his behavior is really making it difficult to get some things done, which means I have to spend more time thinking about things that should be easy—which means I don't have as much surplus brain power for creative activities like blogging.

Jenn said...

One-armed drummers rock my socks.

I am also pleasantly surprised Im blogrolled here. I am so honored to be in the company of blogs that require mental flotsam and love of all things Def Leopard-ardy.

What is a flotsam anyway? Wait, I know. It's the act of sitting down on an over-inflated cushion and subsequent noise that follows? AM I RIGHT??!! Or am I right.

WV: "ythoo"
That's what you say when you are calling someone over.

Foo said...

flotsam - n.,
1.
a. Wreckage or cargo that remains
afloat after a ship has sunk.
b. Floating refuse or debris.
2. Discarded odds and ends.
3. Vagrant, usually destitute people.

And I don't know that I'd necessarily feel honored, if I were you. I just blogroll the sites I visit fairly regularly, mostly because I'm old and can't remember the url.

You were close on "ythoo", but technically it's what you say when you are calling someone over while your mouth is full of peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...