24 August, 2006

And the bleat goes on

“If I ain't too stove up. I ain't like you. I'm old and give out.”

–Karl Childers, when asked if he'd like to play football every Saturday

This angry-looking raw spot on my thigh doesn't seem to be in any particular hurry to lay on some new skin, and I'm beginning to get irritated. It's not that the dressing changes are a big deal, and it's not even that I'm in a lot of discomfort, but I haven't ridden all week and will probably miss this weekend. Why? Because the bloody (well, seeping) thing is in such an inconvenient spot that the dressings loosen and slide down if I move around much.Furiously pumping my legs would qualify as "moving around", so it looks like I'm going to be off the bike for a while longer.

Meanwhile...

  • I finally got to see V For Vendetta last evening and thought it was really well done. When it first came out in theaters, there was a lot of outrage on the part of conservative talk show hosts, who took the position that the film glorified terrorism. I think they were largely (perhaps disingenuously) missing the point by choosing to focus on the word terrorist. I mean, isn't the point of terrorism to strike terror into the hearts of the general populace? Yet, as I watched, it seemed to me that the only people V was terrorizing were the corrupt, tyrannical government muckety-mucks.

    Perhaps the movie was best summed up in what was, for me, its most memorable line: "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."

    The fine point this makes, and which I think the talking heads missed, is that a foreigner flying a jet into the World Trade Center is only a terrorist. A citizen of England who blows up the Old Bailey in an effort to bring down a corrupt government is, by definition, a terrorist—but he's also a revolutionist.

    V For Vendetta
    was definitely about revolution.

  • As I was walking in to my office building this morning, I passed a guy carrying a large box. It had printed on the side, in six-inch lettering, "CDW", which I read, at first, as "COW". My immediate reaction was, "Gee, I didn't know they came unassembled."

    I know my ear-to-ear grin was discomfiting to the woman in the elevator.

  • Speaking of cows...
    They have one word in their vocabulary and it's a single syllable at that.

    But farmers claim cows appear to 'moo' in regional accents, despite their limited conversational skills.

    Herds in the West Country have been heard lowing with a distinctive Somerset twang - prompting some to claim the sound is more 'moo-arr' than moo.
    Link (Daily Mail)

    Well, duh.

    Haven't they been watching the Real California Cheese ads? In the one where the New Cow is talking about snow, for example, she's obviously speaking with a Wisconsin accent.

Is it lunch time yet?

2 comments:

Tink said...

V For Vendetta was an excellent movie! I thought Hugo Weaving (Mr. Smith) did an amazing job showing expression through other means than his face.

Cows with ACCENTS? Oh my Gawd. That's about as ridiculous as those dog collars that supposedly translate what your dog is barking.

Turtle said...

I love those cows!!! Okay...had to check out the site, since you put up a link. They only had 2 commercials there, tho. Sucks.

So, they have collars that tell you was your dog is barking. Do they have one for cats? Foo could use one on Bek. Since he can't seem to figure it out, I'm the translator. Duh.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...