11 August, 2006

Random... Friday

I've been criticized for talking about cats, bikes, old music, and my annoying co-workers—so I've been holding out until I had something else to write about.

Unfortunately, the only other thing that occupies my time is my work, and I'm pretty sure that the 5% who would understand what I was talking about don't want to hear.
  • I was leaving for work yesterday morning and saw the helmetless, clueless, in-the-dark guy. Turtle yelled at me for not pulling him over last Sunday when we saw him out riding around, so I thought I'd better flag him down.

    "Excuse me, Sir? Sir!" I yelled, cringing at what a dork I sounded like. Sir. But what could I do? I didn't know his name, and Mr. Organ Donor might not get us off on the best footing.

    After half a dozen times, he wheeled around, suspicion all over his face. I explained that I'd seen him out before and was concerned, and would he mind hanging on while I ran to the garage to get something to show him? Yeah, that'll put him at ease. Not.

    Cutting to the chase, I brought out a spare blinky taillight I had lying around. He said he'd never seen one of those (and I could see from his expression that he couldn't care less), but by the time I cut him loose, he'd promised that he'd start wearing his helmet. Since I hadn't even mentioned his lack of helmet, I guessed it was something he'd been feeling guilty about.

  • Now that we've got terrorists trying to blow up planes using liquid and gel explosives in Gatorade bottles, I wonder if motorists will be so quick to harrass me on the road. Yeah, that's right. I've got two water bottles here. One wrong move, and it's to da moon for you, Bubba. Yeah, that's right, pal—I'm a dangerous cyclepath.

  • My lovely bride apparently noticed my CD collection was getting a bit stale, so she surprised me with three selections from my lengthy Amazon.com wish list:
    • Third Day, Wherever You Are - awesome Christian rock for people who think Christian rock is for pu... er, wimps. Some of the best melodies I've heard, bar none.

    • Zero 7, Simple Things - acid jazz, downbeat... whatever you want to call it. I've been hearing cuts off this album for a few years now, and now I don't have to wait for it to come around the rotation on Rhapsody.

    • Jet, Get Born - Oh, you've probably heard a couple cuts on some Apple commercial or another. On the face of it, Jet is another band rehashing '60s garage punk, but I like AC/DC, Pink Floyd, and some of the other identifiable influences well enough that I don't really care. The exercise I get bouncing around on my chair and playing the air kick pedals help me to burn off calories I'm accumulating while it's too hot to get out and ride much. (Ha! Slipped in a cycling reference.)

    It's times like this that I would almost consider breaking my absolute rule about not riding with an iPod. Fortunately, the point is moot since I have the rule but not the iPod.

Now playing: Webb Wilder, Hybrid Vigor

10 comments:

Foo said...

You must be new around here, or you'd know that there's nothing structured about my thought.

WV: "cawdor". Hmmm... Cawdor... Cawdor. Why does that name sound familiar?

Allez said...

You would have the double threat on your bike with the "gatorade" bottles and "ipod". Mix them together and you would have a bomb!

Anne said...

"playing the air kick pedals"

Help me out here - I'm trying to get a visual. What IS this? Is this an instrument or a pretend bike ride?

Turtle said...

Anne: I had the privledge of a personal demo last night of this phenomenon, since Foo wanted to play a few of the tracks from those CDs for me. While the music was on, there was a lot of foot tapping going on as he sat propped up in his lounge chair in the living room. He's tapped his feet to the beat. Nothing that mysterious to us girls.

By the way, the music he bought really is good. Of course, they are groups I've never heard of, but they were indeed good!

Foo said...

Allez: D'oh! You've twigged to my nefarious plot!

Anne: On a drum kit, kick pedals are the things you stomp on to thump the bass drum. I've been a frustrated drummer since the womb. My mother probably had the internal bruises to prove it.

Turtle: Sometimes the best music is the stuff that no one's ever heard of precisely because it hasn't[*cough*Desert Rose*cough*]been played to death on the radio.

Gwynne said...

He's alive! And I think I saw some talk of "old music" along with "bikes" in that post. But who's criticizing?

Third Day rocks!

Good of you to share a blinking light. The title of that post s/h/b "And Then There Was Light." ;-)

Foo said...

Gwynne: I'm not prepared to declare a victory on the blinky front just yet. I won't know I did any good until the day I see him ride by with his helmet and his taillight on.

Eric: Some sort of MP3 player is on the list of items that would be nice to have, but as priorities go, it falls pretty far below property tax increases, gasoline/gas/electric/water prices, and car repairs.

Foo said...

I shalt not covet.

Gwynne said...

Eating regularly is overrated...

As are hot showers. ;-)

I knew there must be some excess iPodage in Eric's closet. I almost offered you one of his. Maybe if you're really, really extra nice to him, he'll give you one...you know, just like how you gave the suicide cyclist a blinky light. Maybe. ;-)

Jenn said...

Third Day is one of my favorites. You should check out listal.com for people who like organization and lists and cataloging their CDS, BOOKS, & DVDs with WISH LISTS. I love this site. (Maybe perhaps I need a life)

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...