25 June, 2007

Dry Spell Outlasts Dry Humor. Film at 11:00

I know, it's unconscionable to go as long as I have without posting, but while my current work situation doesn't provide much in the way of entertaining anecdotes, I'm pleased to report that I seem to have appeared on my boss's boss's radar. Is it presumptuous of me to dream that I might someday battle my way out of the cubicle and into an office again?

Maybe not, but I'm far too occupied with exceeding expectations (and getting noticed for it) to concern myself with that, just now.

Meanwhile...

I rediscovered some bicycling poetry I wrote a couple years ago. Since I can't seem to keep track of this stuff, I'm archiving it here.

There once was a C++ coder
Who was known for his powerful odor.
He said, "I commute
And it's hot out, to boot;
But my bike, she's content 'cause I rode 'er."

I'm a big fan of Harry Graham, so...

Willie up the hillside spun,
The price his burning hamstrings paid.
When halfway up he said, "I'm done."
Poor William didn't make the grade.

Willie on a bike of red
Bonked because he had no Gu.
He wore no helmet on his head,
And now he's dead: he bonked it too.

And a wee limerick...

There once was a man from Nantucket
Whose bike was so tough he could huck* it.
He rode off the edge
Of a very high ledge—
They retrieved his remains with a bucket.


* A mountain biking term meaning to... well, throw oneself off a cliff without a second thought, basically.

6 comments:

Tink said...

Bicycling poetry!! *Snort* That's awesome. I bet you could corner the market on that pretty easily. ;)

Eric Siegmund said...

Some of the lamest poetry ever written appears monthly in the Tandem Club of America newsletter.

Given that standard, I'm more than ready to crown you the new Poet Laureate, Bicycling Division.

That Janie Girl said...

I'm going to have to share that literary genius with some of my Ms150-ing biker coworkers. They will love it!

Jenn said...

Nice work there, Longfellow.

Good for you, being noticed by the boss' boss. I hope it was not for your powerful odor either.

Lou said...

It's always nice to be noticed by those in the "rarified air". Hope it leads to something good.
As for the bicycle poems and llimericks - gotta love em...

And once again - Hi Turtle!

Anonymous said...

Yo Foo,

Now that I'm back in the states and head over to your BLOG, and what greets me: Poetry. Hmmmmm........ Wondering if I was better off in Shanghai (gr&d)

Ride Long and Prosper

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...