30 June, 2007

iMania

It was only as I was finding my way back here to begin this post that the irony of the previous post's title hit me. After two solid weeks of rain and one of the wettest springs in the state's history, Texas is anything but dry. Waterlogged, maybe.

I think we can safely declare that the past couple years' drought is safely over.

Anyway, with more storms in the forecast and after... um... sleeping a bit too late to get myself around in time to go riding with any of the local clubs, I'm planted in front of the TV, catching up with what's going on in the world.

The iPhone

I want to preface my remarks by noting that Apple's new superphone does look cool. I know that Bill has been salivating over this thing for months, and I expect Eric has been eyeing his new toy budget, as well.

BUT... I guess I'm not the gadget geek I used to be. I just don't get what's so special about a phone that plays music and has fancy scrolling graphics that people would feel compelled to camp out in long lines, in the rain, for a chance to buy one. Maybe I'm just cheap, because when I see all these ads touting phones that allow you to browse the web or watch TV shows from the comfort of your phone, all I can think is, "Wow. The air time for that must cost a bundle." So cheap that Turtle and I don't even spring for the extra $15/month that would allow us to make use of our camera phones.

Which leads me toward another rant about how devious it is to make camera or music phones cheap, but design them so that the only way of getting content on or off of them is to upload/download them using costly air time. But I'll resist the urge and move on.

In the news

Just when I had begun to think that Americans were starting to wise up, it looks like some of us have rediscovered the joys of frivolous litigation. When I heard about the recent $54 million (note: not $54M) lawsuit brought by a D.C. judge against a dry cleaner who misplaced a pair of his pants, I took it in stride. I view our nation's capital in much the same way as I do Hollywood, each being in its own way a sort of common sense black hole from which only ridiculousness can escape. [link]

The next story was about a woman who is suing Mars, the makers of Starburst fruit chews, claiming that, "about 3 chews and it literally locked my jaw… and it just literally pulled my jaw out of joint." [link]

Lady, you've been around long enough and have eaten enough candy to have experienced Sugar-Daddy, Tootsie Roll, and Laffy Taffy (i.e. "old-timer candy"). If you can't figure out that something like Starburst could be hazardous to your crowns, you probably should be required to wear a helmet when walking.

Literally.

4 comments:

Lou said...

I agree fully on all of your point, Mike.
The guy with the $54 million lawsuit was just plain out and out stupid. Dry cleaners lose things. Get over it.
As for the person suing Mars candy -- you're right. Candy like that gets hard over time - let it sit in your mouth until it soften, then chew it. Move along...
Hope you guys are OK down there. Heard your twon mentioned a few times in the news.
Take good care and Happy 4th.

Tink said...

That lawsuit against the dry cleaners pissed me off. I watched for updates every day, praying the asshat who was suing them would lose. Can you imagine if he'd won? Then EVERYONE would have to be careful what they said, for fear it might be taken literally. Ugh. What is this world coming to?

Eric Siegmund said...

iPhone? iYawn.

Plus, we've got like a 1,000 year contract with Alltel.

Gwynne said...

I really don't understand the iPhone hype either. I am too cheap to sign up for yet another service or pay for any extras on the cell phone that I do have, but it sounds like the iPhone doesn't even do many of the things some other PDAs and Blackberries can handle.

And the pants thing? The plaintiff in that case should do jail time for abuse of government resources in handling his frivolous case. Disgusting!

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...