03 June, 2007

Ride report: Mesquite Rodeo Ride (Mesquite, TX)

I've been back on the bike and participating in charity rallies since 2004, but I had never tried the Mesquite Rodeo Bike Ride before. At the urging of the Stradas and a couple of DF buddies from the Plano club, I signed myself up for the 56-mile course. Turtle signed up for the 20.

It takes the two of us a bit longer than most to get our collective show on the road and to get unloaded and set up, so we arrived at the Resistol arena (or Mesquite Convention Center... whatever) at around 7am. As a result, we got a prime handicap parking spot next to the hotel and set about setting up her handcycle and my bike. And then we waited, watching for the RBENT bunch we were supposed to meet. And waited. By a few minutes before 8:00, Turtle had returned from her pre-ride pit stop, and we still hadn't seen a single familiar face on a recumbent. I later learned that this was because everyone else had parked on the complete opposite side of the convention center.

But no matter. With a few minutes to spare, we made our way to the starting pack where we got Turtle introduced to a couple RBENT folks doing the short route, and I hooked up with my bunch. The start was... awkward. Fred Flintstoning it up a grade to start on a wet street with a bunch of high-strung DF riders is not the ideal way to begin a ride, but we managed and set about picking our way through the pack toward clear air. The Stradas and I quickly got separated from the rest of our group.

Early on, I was impressed with the traffic control, not only for the motorists but also in the way that we cyclists were funneled to where we needed to be by means of liberal application of road cones. Sure, it made things a little dodgy having to at the same time avoid cones knocked over by inattentive riders and greasy-looking puddles on the streets—but there were half a dozen intersections and lane transitions that would have been much less safe without them. Route layout and intersection were, with few exceptions, better than for the Wild Ride, and that's saying something. I thought the route was a nice mix of urban and country riding, and while I could have done without some of the teeth-rattling, multiply-patched sections of pavement, sometimes that's just the price you pay for beautiful scenery and the not-entirely-unpleasant tang of cow poo in your nostrils.

Let's go, let's go...Foo and FlyingLaZBoySquirrel camBack on the road
Photos Copyright © 2007 by flyinglazboy


The route was, at once, less hilly than I'd heard in the past and more hilly than more recent reports had led me to believe. Maybe it was just that I was having an off day (or feeling the effects of not having ridden in nearly two weeks), but it seemed like we did an awful lot of climbing for the less than 1500 feet of elevation gain the ride is supposed to have. But it was all good, and the best part is that instead of getting smacked by the thunderstorms that were predicted, we got a nice, sunny day.

And Blue Bell ice cream for afters.

I kind of wish that there had been a chance to log my sixth metric century (100 km = about 62.5 miles) of the year, but given that I thought I might have to downshift to one of the shorter routes because of the weather, 56 miles and change is just fine. Motorists were sharing the road nicely (except the woman who nearly dislocated her shoulder rolling down her window to spit and scream obscenities at us), we didn't have any unpleasant encounters with racer boys, and the company couldn't have been better. Unless...

Nah. Scratch that. I don't know if Jessica Alba even knows how to ride a bike.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

too bad you don't carry a super soaker for spitters and shouters. All this talk and here I don't even own a bike anymore.

Anonymous said...

Suze,

You don't know what yer missin. Despite the constant rolling hills on the 20-mile route, I even enjoyed it! I felt good afterwards and even did the ride in 2 1/2 hours -- a new record for me -- on a ride I would swear was comparable in hilliness to the Collin Classic or worse! Having cooler weather helps too.

One of my favorite parts of this ride was being recognized as Foo's weef and having the folks from our local bike clubs cheer me on.

Guess I'll have to train even harder for next year. Ride on!

Lou said...

Nice pic from the race, Mike.

And Turtle...great job on the ride...keep up the good work.

And LOL Soozie - supersokers on bikes...what an image...

Bret said...

Foo --

I was at the ride, doing promotional work for the new Fantastic Four movie coming out this summer. (It's spectacular. There are a couple of scenes in which I... act.)

And I can't believe you didn't recognize me in the car. I was spitting a lot because I've just had a bunch of dental work done.

XOXOXOXOXOX,

Jessica

Tink said...

Ah ha! So you do it for the ice cream...

Love the photos.

That Janie Girl said...

Our MS150 is coming up fast. Y'all ought to snag out here and ride with our group!

(I say that vicariously, I've not yet taken the leap upon a bicycle seat, but I do work at the event both days!)

Foo said...

Doozie: Best not to antagonize them, these poor souls trapped in their metal boxes. I can understand the woman's frustration, if not her venom, however. She was in a line of oncoming cars trying to turn left but unable to do so, because of the seemingly-endless stream of those !&*#$ cyclists. There really should have been a policeman posted there to stop the cyclists and let the cars through.

Turtle: You kicked butt!

Lou: Thanks. The guy who shoots those does so on the move, from the bike, with his hand over his shoulder or behind him. It's amazing to me how he can tell where he's pointing the camera, much less avoid falling off while doing it.

Bret/Jessica: Hrm. Blogging in drag? Anyway, I'm not buying the dental work. I've seen the trailer for Into the Blue, and I'm pretty sure no one would notice if she had teeth at all. If they made it that far north, they'd be distracted by her eyes or lips.

I'm more of a Jennifer Connelly or Cate Blanchett kind of guy, m'self.

Tink: Not just the ice cream. Did you know you can actually buy pickle juice in bottles, like Gatorade?

Janie: Thanks for the invite. Meeting up with you and Eric has piqued my interest in the western frontier, but I think I'm tapped out as far as MS 150 fundraising for this year. If I'd made my $2500 goal, I could have ridden in any of the other MS 150s for a flat $50, but I just didn't get the job done. I did manage to raise $500, though, thanks in no small part to the generosity of this little bloggerhood".

Tink said...

Ewww! Please tell me there's some medicinal reason for that. Like, pickle juice helps keep you hydrated or something. Because that's GROSS, Foo.

Foo said...

Tink: As a matter of fact, there is a reason for it. Pickle juice is great for electrolyte replacement, especially when riding in the Texas heat. It does a lot of the same thing as Gatorade without all the sugar. You know how your body just seems to know what it needs? What tastes nasty when you're well rested and cool is like nectar when you're hot and fighting off dehydration.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...