11 June, 2007

Ride report: Collin Classic (McKinney, TX)

The 16th Collin Classic was a very different ride from the 14th Collin Classic I first took part in, back in 2005. That one was beastly hot, the 50-something mile route was crazy with large-aggregate chip seal, and I was still suffering on a DF bike. After what seemed at the time like an ungodly amount of climbing, we had to battle up one of the vicious hills on the frontage road running south along US-75—only to arrive at McKinney High School to find that the Chipotle eats we'd been promised had been replaced with jelly sandwiches or rubbery hot dogs. Some people were irate because the t-shirts had run out, and they'd been given headsweats instead.

The Classic took a lot of knocks that year, and the ride director has since worked very hard to address the criticisms. In 2006, there was a lot less chip seal, the giant hill at the end had been deleted from the route, and there was pizza and fajita tacos for afters.

This year, the improvements to the 55-mile route (in fact, 53.72 miles) continued. There were still plenty of hills to climb, but I can't remember a ride route that had such a generous portion of smooth, well-maintained pavement. There was a small amount of chip seal, but it didn't feel particularly rough to me. Either it had been broken in, or running my tires a couple PSI softer this year helped. There was no wind to fight, and the heat wasn't too bad.

I had another very good day.


Mr. Strada, Corsa Ken, Mrs. Strada, and a boy named Foo.
(Photo courtesy of www.bicycle-stuff.com.)


I started off with The Stradas and Corsa Ken, but that didn't last more than 100 yards. Thanks to the crush of riders and a mechanical glitch involving Mrs. Strada's computer sensor, I quickly became separated from The Stradas. Not long after, I lost Ken as well. Without any social governor to keep my hammerhead wanna-be tendencies in check, I set about the business of passing... well, anyone between me and a vacant stretch of road. I hadn't started out feeling particularly spry, but my legs warmed up and the HRM showed an average around 160 bpm (not unreasonable, for me). By mile 30, the crowd had thinned slightly, and I pulled in to the rest stop to wait for the Stradas so we could regroup. When they arrived, we compared computer readings and found we'd been averaging 18.5 mph to that point.

A bit further down the road, Mrs. Strada took a spill at a railroad crossing and got banged up a bit. She's a trooper, though, and after taking a few minutes to clean her injuries, we were all back on the road. We all made it across the finish line at around 3 hours and 15 minutes, in plenty of time to chow down on questionable-looking (but muy delicioso) soft tacos filled with a mixture of eggs, potatoes, and some sort of meat-like substance that may or may not have been chicken.

It was in the cafeteria that I finally caught up with LanceNotStrong, Allez, and Allez's husband. I'd run into rcarlino before the ride, and he said Lance was looking for me, but I never was able to spot their group during the ride. I took the opportunity to interrupt their conversation for a few minutes before leaving them to analyze the contents of their tacos.

Notwithstanding my glowing review of the Wild Ride, the 16th Collin Classic might have replaced it as my best for-pay ride experience of this season, if the route had been about 10 miles longer and if I'd spent less time separated from my riding buddies. As it is, I'm pretty pleased at having finished a ride of that length, with hills, with an 18.1 mph rolling average.

13 comments:

Eric Siegmund said...

You know how to solve that separation issue, don't you?

You stop and wait. ;-)

Lance Notstrong said...

I rode the Collin Classic on 05 as well. And rode the 55 mile loop. The chip seal was the worst I've ever ridden and I was totally pissed about Chipotle and the jelly sandwiches. This years addition was like a totally different bike rally. It was good to see ya at the end :-)

Tink said...

I have no idea why...

But Hoop wants to know what your resting heart rate is?

Foo said...

Lance: Likewise. Maybe one of these days we'll actually get to ride together. =)

Tink: It's been a while since I remembered to check it just after waking, but it was as low as 52 bpm sometime last year. If I'm relaxed and check it just before turning off and going to sleep, it's usually 58 or so.

Lou said...

Sounds like it was a nice ride, my friend. Glad it went well!

Anne said...

I was at my sister's last night and found out she and her husband bought new bikes and have begun riding - on the highway without helmets!

Her husband says to me "we're careful." I told him I wasn't worried about how careful he was - I was worried about the vehicles on the road that have no consideration for bikers. It's bad enough riding a motorcycle on the road and I've even had a training course.

You got any tips I can hand down to them?

Sorry, I had to ramble.

Anne said...

Oh, I thought I would mention (since you posted about the Pickle Juice a few days ago and it's bad taste) that Shaklee has sports nutrition products and I'm sure their Performance sport drink tastes a lot better. Some of the athletes that use Shaklee are handcyclist Craig Blanchette, cyclist Kent Bostick, and other athletes. I am by far NOT an athlete (I'm a singer you know?) but I'm able to get through my workout on the elliptical machine a lot better when I'm drinking my protein and sport drink. I give it to HubbaDood too when he's playing soccer and basketball.

Thanks for letting me ramble again. :)

Foo said...

Anne: First off, let me just say that I can't advocate riding a bicycle or a motorcycle without a helmet. It's not uncommon to hear anti-helmet folks argue that a helmet doesn't do a bit of good if you're run over by a dump truck, and while that's true it's missing the point. Helmets help to protect against brain injuries in cases where the rest of the body hasn't been pulped by some drunk or a teenager plowing over it while text messaging. I know plenty of cyclists whose helmets saved them serious head injuries when they crashed with no one else around. It happens. You get a flat, hit a crack, dodge a squirrel. Whatever.

When I first started riding a bike again, I was somewhat reluctant to wear a helmet. After all, I was only going to be riding around the neighborhood, and I didn't want to look like a dork. Turtle convinced me it was a good idea, and I quickly got used to wearing one. Modern bike helmets are so light and comfortable that you hardly notice them. Now, even if I'm just tooling around the neighborhood on my mountain bike, looking at the neighbors' landscaping, I wear my helmet to set a good example for the kids, if nothing else.

As for the "we're careful" response, you're exactly right. It's usually motorists and other elements outside your control that you have to be concerned about. You can be riding along a side street with no traffic and get taken off the bike when some kid bets his buddy that he can't nail you with a hedge apple or a football.

I tell people that I ride as though every motorist is out to kill me, any child might dart out in front of me, and every squirrel scampering along the side of the road will dart between my spokes. The truth is that I'm not actually that paranoid, but as long as I ride as though I am, it means I'm always on the defensive and watching for hazards.

Anyway, I guess a lot of it depends on the area where you're riding. I know I'd never take such a cavalier attitude as your brother-in-law, but then Dallas drivers are very aggressive in general and toward cyclists in particular. I've heard cyclists from other parts of the country say that they never have any problems. That'd be sweet, but I'd still wear a helmet in case I just... yanno... fell off.

Regarding the pickle juice, I'm not the one who thinks the taste is unbearable. When riding in the heat and fighting cramps, it actually tastes just fine. And it's only on the order of 7 calories, which is a lot less than, say Gatorade.

EZ Biker said...

Re:Ride report: Collin Classic (McKinney, TX)
What a Great ride report Foo! Sounds like you and the gang had a Great time. I can't wait to get moved back to Houston by the end of 08 and come up to your neck of the woods and ride with you and the gang!
Ken aka EZ Biker :-)

Foo said...

Ken: That sounds great, but we've got to wait a whole 'nother season for you to get here? Anyway, we'll keep a light on for you.

Anne said...

Thanks for the info! I will pass some of that along.

Anonymous said...

Anne: Tell your peeps there is no excuse for NOT wearing a helmet. Brain injury is not something to mess with. I know lots of people (including myself) who have taken spills and hit their head. Thanks to that goofy looking helmet, their head was protected. Being a "vegetable" is not something you want to experience because you're too vain to wear a helmet.

(Off the soapbox)

By the way, I've met Craig Blanchette in my previous wheelchair racing career. Nice guy.

Anne said...

"meat-like substance"? And you ate it?

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...