15 January, 2008

Contemplating contentment

I've never put much stock in a lot of the psychological manure thought up by the classical psychologists. Although Carl Jung always struck me as being less full of crap than many, the notion of synchronicity sure seems like a large wheelbarrow load of the stuff. And yet when, two days after posting my album cover made from a photo of a classic Rolls Royce, I was tailgated home by a late model Phantom, “synchronicity” was the first word that came to mind. I'll leave off repeating the next few; I hate being tailgated, and I like to try to keep this blog under the PG-14 wire.

Anyway, with that huge silver grille looming in my rear view, I pondered what sorts of wrong choices I might have made in my life that had led the guy in the Rolls to be driving what he was driving and me to be driving what I was driving. The thought occurred to me that if he didn't get off my bumper before the next time the driver in front of me randomly applied her brakes, I might find myself a bit nearer to being able to afford a Rolls – but I digress. I imagined I knew where he'd eventually turn (north into the neighborhoods of sprawling mansions and two-acre lots in Fairview) and wondered to myself what sort of work he must do (if any). Was he married with a family? Were they happy, or did they only put up with their workaholic husband/father because it was a lifestyle choice? Could he afford all of those fancy things, or was he in hock up to his eyeballs, developing an ulcer while chugging Dewar's and agonizing over how to stay afloat and keep the IRS at bay?

It was about that time that we came to an intersection where we parted ways – he turning north toward Beverly Hills Fairview and I heading south toward where my loving wife and kittens waited in our unpretentious, warm, dry home to welcome me after my day at the software mill. After I'd had a chance to relax in my humble but comfortable chair, we'd thank God for our many blessings and have a simple but satisfying dinner. We'd clear away the dishes, washing some by hand and tossing the rest in the fancy dish washing contraption, and then we'd settle in to watch a movie on our new flat-screen TV and enjoy the luxury of deep bass and crisp surround stereo from the new receiver and speakers I installed over the weekend.

And I'd realize that I didn't want the Rolls Royce (I love my Dorian); the house with ten bedrooms, five baths, two kitchens, and a media room with theater seating; the alcoholic trophy wife and avaricious snob-spawn; and certainly not the financial headaches. I realized, in that moment, that when I stopped long enough to realize it... I'm content with how green the grass is (or isn't, at this time of year) in my own yard.

9 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

That's the Foo I know!

Awesome.

Bret said...

So that was YOU in front of me on the commute home? Yeah, well, (a) it's Johnnie Walker Red, and (b) they're *spectacular*.

Tink said...

He's probably trying to compensate for the miserable life he leads. Eh. I'd rather be happy and only own sorta nice things. :)

Foo said...

@janie: the one who rants about his fellow drivers, or the one who writes exaggerated prosed about insignificant topics? ;)

@bret: never had any Johnnie Walker Red. And who's spectacular?

@tink: as I look back over that post, I realize that I might have spent just a little too much effort describing how miserable the Rolls driver's life might be and not enough on my conclusion that it doesn't matter whether he's miserable or living a charmed life. I've got everyone and everything I need to be happy, and I wouldn't be willing to go to the lengths it would take to acquire and keep up with anything more.

Bret said...

Me, neither. I tried a bad Scotch once, and decided I didn't care enough to find out what a *good* Scotch might taste like.

And the other is an (obviously) obscure journey from "trophy wife" to a Seinfeldism.

Now get out of my way! I'm staggering home!

Eric Siegmund said...

Bret, I just about fell out of my chair laughing when I read your first comment.

Anyway...

Foo, I often have the same sort of thoughts you just expressed, but instead of following through to your conclusion, I end with "...and he's probably got a loving wife, happy family, healthy dog, fulfilling church life, and enjoys washing his own dishes now and again. It really doesn't suck to be him."

OTOH, ever check the gas mileage rating on those things?

Foo said...

@eric: Yeah, but I'm trying to remind myself that it's okay to be where I am in life. I don't mean to go all sour grapes on Mr. Royce. Assuming he's got it all and got it easy is the simple part, but if I only imagine his life is a fairy tale, the temptation is to dwell on where I went wrong. And I already have plenty of things to beat myself up about.

Anonymous said...

this one time I had a dream...a dream that Foo still visited my blog and stuff...it was just a dream

Foo said...

Doozie: Um... as far as I know, you took yours down. Didn't you?

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...