01 January, 2008

On the books for 2008

First ride of 2008I know what some of you are thinking: “Foo never writes about riding anymore. So he had a crash and wrecked his shoulder. So what? It's cycling, not rowing.”

Well, to these naysayers I'd just like to retort, “Nyehhhh!

Thanks to the prompting of Squirrel Bait (remember her from last year's MS 150), a sizeable contingent from last year's team and one new member hit the road at 1pm to log our first 20 miles of 2008.

BourbonFor those of you who like your images a bit more amusing, try on this recent submission to the Dictionary of Image for size. It's been PhotoShopped a little, but the only deviations from reality were the addition of the definition text and a bit of texturing. This water tower for the town of Bourbon, Missouri, is the real deal.

Kind of adds a whole new meaning to the expression, “There must be somethin' in the water”, doesn't it?

8 comments:

That Janie Girl said...

That's awesome, Foo. You're pretty good at that photoshopping stuff!

ps - word verification is paiddlb. Who's DLB, is all I want to know? I didn't pay and I don't want him looking for me....

Tink said...

Aw man. I wish there were bourbon in our water. ;)

Avery Gray said...

I can't wait until we get back on our bikes this year. Because of health issues and weather, we only logged about 100 miles all of last year. That's pathetic.

Mmm... Bourbon...

rcarlino said...

Wow, an actual post about cycling! For a minute there I thought it was an Internet hoax. :-)

Glad to see you're back out on the bike. Hopefully our cycling paths will cross at one or more bike rallies in 2008.

And, believe it or not, I've been through Bourbon MO on several occasions. It's right off of I-44 and we've passed through it on many trips to St Louis to visit the outlaws. Come to think of it, some bourbon would have been quite useful one we GOT to the outlaws.

Foo said...

@Janie: Thanks... and is that a new haircut, by the way? Looks good.

@Tink: No kidding. I've got to think that the alcohol in bourbon would be helpful in alleviating stress and preventing gum disease. If they can get away with putting fluoride in the water, why not bourbon? And it would certainly encourage me to drink from the tap.

@Avery: I hear ya. I managed a quick ride of about 9 miles on the 30th to get in just under the wire for 2002 miles; but it's all relative, since my goal for 2007 was 3000 miles. A very rainy spring, a couple vacations, and some time off the bike due to injuries really put me off pace. And none of them overlapped, of course.

@rcarlino: Yeah, yeah... you'd have seen a lot more of me if you hadn't been consciously choosing rallies that I wasn't riding in.

And don't mention St. Louis to Turtle unless you want to have the inevitable “Where'd you go to school?” conversation. She tells me that's a St. Louis thing.

That Janie Girl said...

Foo - same hair, different bad hair day...;) I'm loving your photos!

FlyingLaZBoy said...

Say, Mon, give me a call next time you're going out for 30 miles or so... I'm flexible...

Lou said...

Glad to see the post in the great year of 2008. Hope you and the turtle enjoyed the holidays...

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...