27 January, 2008

Ghosts in Tri-X

Jammin'Circa 1981. Shot with an Olympus OM-1N on Tri-X (and a tri-pod)
Just a little something to show that you can never stash some mementos of your past far enough to the back corner of the attic. This one – a self portrait for a basic photography and darkroom course I took in college – resurfaced today among some outdated atlases, a folio of Escher prints, and my deed to a one-foot square plot of land in Lynchburg, Tennessee.

No mullet, like the ones currently vying for validation over at Emma's place, but lordy lou did I ever need a haircut. And a competent dermatologist. And a fingernail clipper.

My instructor gave me a C+ on this project, noting on the back of the photo that I hadn't printed it dark enough (a shortcoming I've corrected in the version you see here).* The dramatically-lighted result of our assignment to photograph an egg fared much better and received an A-. It was voted Best of the Day by the other members of the class. Maybe it will pop up one of these days, as well.


* Speaking of corrections, check out the more dramatic post-processed version I did for The Dictionary of Image.

9 comments:

Tink said...

I LOVE that picture. Your teacher was a tard, the lighting is PERFECT. I took a photography class in high school too. I never quite got the hang of developing the film myself. I was decent at taking the shots though. I worked out a partnership with this guy, who was taking the class just so he could have an excuse to leave school. I took both our pictures and he developed them. Ah, those were the days.

Foo said...

@tink: You're kind to say so, but the prof really wasn't a tard. The original image was toned too lightly, as I originally printed it. The one you see now has had the contrast tweaked to look like it should have done, back in '81.

I loved the darkroom part of the course, once I got the hang of loading the film on the wire spool in the pitch black.

Gwynne said...

That's a great photo! If you hadn't said anything, I would have thought it was a professional rock star photo shoot. The fact that you were able to turn it into an "A" means you were doing something right when you captured the image. When I took photography, the end result in the darkroom was usually limited by shoddy workmanship in the field.

Anne said...

Cool photo! So, do you still play the bass? HubbaHoney has one of these for a class he took in college as well only he wasn't playing an instrument.

I've been to Lynchburg, TN - home of the Jack Daniels chili festival (or something like that). That used to be one of our annual motorcycle trips from Murfreesboro, TN.

Foo said...

@Anne: I'd argue that I couldn't play bass then; but no, I don't even have access to a bass any more. That said, I was discussing the photo with a co-worker the other day - who, by the way, also wanted to know if I still played - and surprised him when I mentioned that the bass was the only guitar I'd ever wanted to play. Ask my wife. If I'm humming along with a song, it's always the bass line I'm humming.

My plot in Lynchburg is the result of my status as a Tennessee Squire. =)

Anne said...

When I used to play bluegrass music my bass player would ask periodically if I would leave him my guitar because he said the bass would get a little boring for him.

I was a freshman in high school in '81. Many, many moons ago.

Jenn said...

That is a fabulous photo!!

You will still be King of The First Mullet Photo Contest to me. :)

Anne said...

Okay it's February. Time for a new post.

Like I should be talkin'.

That Janie Girl said...

Y'all okay? Long time no hear!

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...