06 April, 2008

The home stretch

With about four weeks to go until the Frisco-to-Ft. Worth MS 150, things are finally beginning to fall into place. On the hells heels of a two-week period when I worked over 140 hours, my manager assures me that we're out of panic mode. That means I should have a few full weekends when I actually get to try to put some miles under my wheels instead of sitting inside, pecking away on my laptop.

Yesterday, I got out for a beautiful 40-mile group ride on a route with plenty of rolling hills. My legs felt good all day, so if I can manage to get in a metric century at next weekend's Lancaster pay ride and then 50+ miles at the next weekend's sanctioned MS 150 training ride, I should be good for the distance. I'll just have to rein in my need for speed and avoid hammering along at 20+ mph like I did last year. If I do that, I may not have two 75-mile days in me.

I ran over something during yesterday's ride and put a half-inch cut all the way through the tire. When you've got a hole so big that you have to line the inside of the tire with a folded energy bar wrapper to keep the replacement tube from herniating out and flatting again, the tire's a goner. So I have a new set of Hutchinson Fusion 2s on the way, and I need to restock on C02 for my inflater. Strange... I seem to have gone through a lot of those this past year.

Meanwhile, today's the big day for the MS 1.5 kids' ride, here in Allen. Since the one in Flower Mound last month, Turtle, Leggy Peggy, and Squirrel Bait (who now prefers to be known as “Squirrelly Girl”) have been working really hard to put together this second event to raise funds for our MS 150 team. Prayers and other good thoughts are appreciated because, even though the ladies have planned their butts off, this is still going to be a lot of work.

Since my work load has been such a thorn in my tire for this year's MS 150 effort, keeping me off the road and away from blogging, I felt it only fair that I plaster fundraising flyers in every break room and restroom in the office.* I used one of those crappy glue sticks – the kind that don't stick very well – to stick little strips of paper across the bottom with my online donation link printed on them, so people could pull them off and not have to remember the URL as they dash to their computers to shower the MS Society with filthy lucre. That's my plan, and the plan is working to the extent that I can tell my coworkers are taking the URL strips; but I guess they're waiting until next pay day for the showering part.

I've even been contacted by the woman who does the company newsletter, who wants me to be sure to let her know how many employees contributed toward my MS 150 efforts and how much, after the ride. If I'd known, I might have been able to convince her that getting the word out before the ride might have gotten more donations from more employees so that she'd have even more to put in the newsletter, where the company likes to list all the ways in which it helps the community.

So I'm off to drink a cup of coffee or two before diving into the preparations for today's MS 1.5. Wish us luck!


* You may be wondering how my flyers got posted in the women's restrooms. Let's just say I get in to work much earlier than most of my coworkers.

4 comments:

rcarlino said...

Foo, I went to Richardson Bike Mart on Saturday and signed up for the Lancaster ride next weekend. Hopefully, we will run across each other at the event (not literally, of course).

Sorry to hear about your tire issues. I've only had a couple of flats out on the road, and none of them so bad that the tire was a goner. Good thing you had an energy bar wrapper. PowerBars themselves are tougher than the actual tire, but I digress.

And no, I really wasn't wondering how those flyers got posted in the women's restrooms. I'm just going to assume you left the restroom immediately after posting them. One never knows. :-)

Bret said...

Good luck in your prep for the MS150! We launch on Saturday morning for Austin, and are getting excited. Weather forecast is for decent temps, but a bit of a headwind, unfortunately. Knock on wood that we'll avoid any tire problems; don't need any help to go slower... :-)

Foo said...

@rcarlino: D'oh! If I'd had a Power Bar, I wouldn't have needed to boot the tire. I could've just sealed the cut.

I'll keep an eye out for you at Lancaster. Hope to see you there.

@bret: God speed, buddy. I'll be thinking about you this weekend.

Cowtown Pattie said...

ARgggh! Makes my calves knot up just reading this!

We helped our two last chicks leave the nest this past weekend. They leased a third level apartment.

If I ever see another double flight of concrete stairs it'll be too soon.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...