07 April, 2008

Fontish self indulgence

I know that I sometimes veer a bit too far into the realm of geekdom for the tastes of some, but I hope you'll bear with me today, as I share a couple links.

Scratch, Chicken. Scratch.

Sometime between when the nuns gave me poor marks on my report card for holding my pencil “wrong” and my twenty-something years, I developed an artish passion for handwriting and calligraphy. The most significant result of this was the not-infrequent comment from others that my handwriting looked like a girl's – their way of saying that my script was, at the same time, pretty and legible. Later, I took an interest in the study of graphology and became reasonably adept at it (but that's another story).

Over the years, the advent of e-mail and an increase in the amount of time I spend keying computer code have taken a toll on my handwriting. While still arguably feminine-looking, my script now appears less like that of a sophisticated Jane Austen type and more like that of a psychotic ex-girlfriend who provides the inspiration to pack everything in the car and just skip town in the middle of the night.

It seems the folks at Smashing Magazine share my nostalgia for the bygone days of handwritten correspondence. Check it out.

Got Grunge?

At the other end of the spectrum are those fonts that have been created to intentionally create the impression of crud and untidyness. You see them everywere, from the handbills advertising bands at the local rock clubs to the titles for televised sporting events.

While I was at the Smashing Magazine site, I just had to check out the link for one of their earlier postings, “63 Must Have Grunge Fonts”.

I can tell the available hard drive space on my home computer will be decreased by several megs, because there are more than a few of these I'll have to have.

8 comments:

Bret said...

I'm assuming one of your acquisitions will be the "My Turtle" font I saw on the click-thru? :-)

Foo said...

@bret: Man, I completely missed "My Turtle" and couldn't find it when I went back to look. Was it in with the grunge fonts?

That Janie Girl said...

Love those! Now I have to go find "My Turtle" font...

BTW, can't believe you sided with my housekeeper! Of all the nerve! :)

Rob said...

I'm a bit of an obsessive font fan too. Here are a coupla sites that're sure to help bog down your hard drive:

http://www.chank.com/freefonts.php

http://www.sharkshock.com/fonts/fontsfoo.html

Foo said...

@janie: I don't know why you'd want a housekeeper anyway. It's so much work having to keep the place picked up so that they don't see how messy you are.

I mean, not you specifically. I should have said "how messy one is."

@rob: Ah, just what I need: an enabler.

Thanks for the links. =)

That Janie Girl said...

back @ foo: yeah, right. I am messy! I mean, "one" is messy.

Bret said...

http://www.fontspace.com/billy-argel/my-turtle

Anonymous said...

OMG! A font named after yours truly!!! I'm blushing.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...