24 April, 2006

Weekend update

Blogger seems to have got something caught sideways this morning, so we'll just have to see how we make out with the "blog by e-mail" feature. Maybe I've even remembered the address correctly.

Onward...

Another great weekend in north Texas. First thing Saturday morning, we loaded our assorted human-powered conveyances and headed down to White Rock Lake. There, we met up with the group that Turtle had organized to undergo some performance testing that would help the participants to fine tune their cadence and riding styles.

The process began with each rider having some very scientific looking electronics strapped on to his/her handcycle. Some of it was for analysis of the rider's exhaust gasses (exhalations, Susie; not what you're thinking); some of it was telemetry for transmitting the readings to the laptop of the guy doing the testing. The rider then got to strap on a breather mask with a 1" diameter tube connecting it to the test equipment.

I kept making lame Darth Vader jokes (which the perfessor had obviously heard far too many times before), but with the masks and their sunglasses, the riders looked more like jet fighter pilots.

I may have some pictures to post, but it will require a certain alignment of the planets for that to happen. First, I'll have to see if anyone thought to snap a few shots of Turtle with my camera while I was running around, helping some of the other test subjects. Then, I'll have to make sure that Turtle doesn't mind being plastered on my blog. Finally, Blogger will have to get with the program.

Somewhere in the midst of all this, I sloped off for a quick lap of the lake on my Corsa. It took me a mile or two to get settled in, but by then I was cranking along between 18 and 21 mph. Maybe everyone else was feeling like a leisurely ride, or maybe it was an indication of what sort of performance I can expect from the bike, but I was passing pretty nearly every other cyclist I came upon.

At least, until my route took me off the street and on to the bike path, at which point things got more crowded and forced me to focus more on safety than speed. Still even after I'd finished dodging wobblies, cloud gazers, and stroller zombies, I arrived back at VO2 testing central with an overall average speed of a little over 16 mph.

Sunday...

...was another beautiful day, so Turtle and I were out riding again. We tooled around the neighborhood together until Turtle got tired of me hanging around and told me to go climb some hills. Which I did. I picked a few spots where I'm accustomed to going for hill intervals and attacked them. For the first time while riding the Corsa, my heart rate went through the roof, which tells me where I'm going to have to concentrate on developing more strength and endurance.

In case you hadn't thought about the physics of it, hills are the recumbent rider's Waterloo because the only things you have to work with are your gears, leg speed (cadence), and leg strength. Standing up and throwing your weight into the pedals to mash your way up a climb is simply not one of the available options.

People doing yardwork smiled and waved. Colorful lycra-clad roadies smiled and waved. I returned their greetings with enthusiasm and was really feeling pretty darned good about the whole thing until the homicidal inbreeder in the black S-10 pickup pulled out of the main lane on to the shoulder where I was riding and tried to run me down.

I wasn't scared at the time, because I saw him coming in my helmet mirror and was able to safely roll off the shoulder and through a broad ditch. I was (and am) pissed off. But the more I think about it, the more it sinks in that I came close to being one of those people whose pictures I'm in charge of posting on the Ride of Silence web site.

You can never be too alert. Especially when you're the only guy who knows how to keep the web site updated.

Later...

...we cooked chicken on the grill and settled in to watch The 40-year-old Virgin. It was a funny movie, but I probably would have enjoyed it a bit more if Turtle hadn't gotten so much entertainment from how close it came to reading like my biography.

12 comments:

Tink said...

I've been trying to comment for 30 minutes. Fa la la lala Blog-ger sucks!

You are Turtle as so motivated and athletic... You make me want to go home and run. And clean the freezer out of ice cream. Well, maybe just run.

"You can never been too alert. Especially when you're the only guy who knows how to keep the web site updated." 1st: That's morbid Foo! 2nd: I think the same thing all the time.

Who would let you guys know if something happened to me? One of the cons of having a "secret" blog.

Tink said...

LMAO. Omg. I can't spell!

"You are Turtle as" What??

Change to: "You AND Turtle ARE"

Foo said...

Tink: it may be more morbid (or ironic) than you think.

I wasn't referring to this blog; I was referring to the memorial web page where I'm responsible for posting the pictures of cyclists who were hit and killed by careless motorists.

So I guess I have to be extra careful, because if I got squished, there'd be no one to post my picture on the web site. The universe would shrug.

I bet Florida's a real challenge for cyclists, what with all those snowbirds driving around with their good eye closed!

Anne said...

You crack me up with all the funny names for people - "snowbirds"?

By the way, I'm glad you made it through the weekend unharmed.

P.S. So if I rent the "40 Year Old Virgin" I will know about your history? Wait a minute, I think it's rated above G isn't it? Too bad - can't watch it.

Bret said...

This post is the reason why I didn't (and don't plan to) "do" streets in my training. We're fortunate to be close enough to a nice long hike/bike trail that it's a no-brainer. Like the guy in the S-10.

Glad you're ok, and glad you're enjoying the new ride.

Foo said...

Anne: Yes, the movie is rated R and not for the whole family. Oh, and I didn't make up "snowbirds". It's a fairly common expression used to describe retirees who live in colder climates, head for Florida to spend their winters, and then head back north for the summer.

Bret: the weird thing about yesterday's incident is that Turtle and I have never had a problem on that 100-yard stretch before. I'm hoping that was my one-in-1000 for that stretch and that I'll be good to go for a while.

I'm headed over to your place, expecting to see a nice write-up about your weekend's riding...

Jenn said...

What a great weekend. I laughed out loud at the thought of you standing for increased leverage on a recumbent bike.

So is it just this one owner or are all owners of Chevy S10 black pickups considered inbreeders? Happy to hear you are none worse for the wear.

PS. I've been reading this Brit's blog for the last couple months. Very funny stuff and I think you'd like him. I don't know if it is bloggerly uncool to post a link to one of his posts, but here it is anyway. Just Some English Guy

Foo said...

Emma: That's homicidal inbreeder, and of course it's not all S-10 drivers. It's just it keeps me hopping sometimes to try and articulate my feelings about certain subsets of society in PG-13 terms or better.

And thanks for the link. I'll check out That English Guy.

EZ Biker said...

Like others have commented, GLAD you made it through the scruff vehicle driver encounter. Happens to me all the time down here in South Florida.

Re: I bet Florida's a real challenge for cyclists, what with all those snowbirds driving around with their good eye closed!

Actually the snowbirds are fairly good about not running over you. It's the 105 year old drivers here you better watch out for! They tend to view you as a speed bump; something they can roll over to make sure their tires are inflated... ;-)
Ken aka EZ Biker :-)

Foo said...

EZ: But what about the 105-year-old snowbirds?

Back in the '80s (1980s), my grandparents had a lot they leased in Kissimmee and an Airstream trailer they left on it, year round. When it started to cool off and the leaves fell, they'd pack their two-tone mustard and brown mustard colored Ford pickup and head south.

In 1980, my folks took us all to Florida over Christmas break to do the whole Disney World thing. When we weren't kicking it with «Die Maus», we were hanging out with my grandparents. Playing shuffleboard. Stealing oranges ("Holy crap! They really do grow on trees!!").

Taking a walk around that RV park was rather like participating in a live-action game of Frogger.

Tink said...

"I was referring to the memorial web page where I'm responsible for posting the pictures of cyclists who were hit and killed by careless motorists." Ugh Foo. That's even worse!

Well in the event (that will never happen) that you get hit by a car (and aren't well enough to get up and beat the crud out of them yourself) I will help post your picture (probably your avatar one since it's all I have) on the site. OK?

And you're right... Don't cycle in Florida. If they hit you they'll back up to see what it was.

Tink said...

Where the heck are you Foo? I need my daily dose! :)

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...