10 April, 2006

Ooh... la la

Goldfrapp. Just saying it out loud makes me giggle. Like an onomatopoeia for the lactose intolerant villain from an Austin Powers movie. Goldfrapper. Frapp Bastard.

Okay, I'm done.

Since acquiring my new computer with its bountiful memory and 21st century operating system, I've rediscovered my mojo. The synergy of a high speed internet connection, a free subscription to Rhapsody, and a near worthless Dallas radio market has rejuvenated me. I've been transported back to a time when disco sucked and I bought vinyl albums based on nothing more than intuition and interesting jacket art. Just to hear something different.

And that's how I stumbled on Alison Goldfrapp. Her infectious "Ooh La La", came stomping out of my speakers with no more thought than a T-Rex trampling an electric fence in Jurassic Park.

Seduced by the infectious, modern but somehow familiar sound, I searched for and found a video for the track. I watched it. And then I watched it again. Genius! There were pasty-faced boys with strap-on keyboards and fur boots. Converse high tops and glam rock posing. A slow motion sequence with a horse made of tiny mirrors. Giant bell bottoms and vertigo-inducing platform shoes.

Holy mother of Marc Bolan and Norman Greenbaum! You have to see this!

Hoop & Tink Foo & Turtle Conversation

Foo: I just realized that I haven't marked the back yard since we moved in.
Turtle: Marked. You mean, peed?
Foo: Yep.
Turtle: You're kidding, right? You wouldn't really pee in the yard.
Foo: Why not? It was just about the first thing I did when I bought the other house.
Turtle: Why?
Foo: Because I can. It's, like, an imperative of home ownership.

8 comments:

Foo said...

Loopy? LOOPY?!

Well, of course I'm loopy. Maybe you'll like this one better.

Foo said...

I've added Turtle's Place back to the blogroll. She claims she's going to start doing some original writing there, so stay on her case.

Tink said...

LOL! Men, always having to flaunt that they can pee standing up. I'm not jealous. *Sniff* No, not me...

Foo said...

Hey, it's got nothing to do with what position you do it from. It's about who holds the title to the property.

That said, I don't extend the same right of territory marking to the loan officer at the bank (as hypocritical as that might seem).

Anne said...

Foo - you're killing me!!

That video looked a lot like Madonna rolled into Queen and Kiss.

Then - what in the world was the badger thing?!!

What is it with men peeing outside? The Hubbs never does that but my Dad did. We'd pull in the driveway at home and instead of going into the house to pee (at night) he would pee in the grass - YUCK!

Foo said...

Anne: Wow, I never would have gotten Madonna or KISS from that video. I saw shades of Marc Bolan, Greg Giuffria, and Betty Boop.

You know who hasn't weighed in on this, though? Emma from Bee's Knees. I believe I've struck upon the answer to her question about where she can wear her leopard print hoochie mama boots.

The badger thing. Hmm. No one quite knows what that's all about. I was first directed to it by a friend in Dublin (Ireland, not Ohio). It's kind of a running joke to try and trick people into watching it, because as bizarre and pointless as it is, that tune will be stuck in your head all day.

As to the marking behavior, I'd have to say once would do it for me. Call it a ritual of ownership.

In case of a household plumbing crisis, all bets are off, of course.

Jenn said...

badgers, mushrooms, snakes...make IT STOP!!!!

Jenn said...

my boys are markers, they are playing out in the back yard and I stick my head out to check on them, because they have been known to do nefarious deeds before. So I peek out and there they are, dual 'marking'.

Hey, I like my hoochie mama boots.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...