08 April, 2006

[insert clever title here]

I had one. I did. Honest. Unfortunately, it must've fallen off the edge during my post-ride nap.

This morning was the annual Lancaster Country Ride put on by the Greater Dallas Bicyclists club. I had committed to serving as a ride marshal back in January, when I still thought there was some hope that physical therapy would solve my neck problems. Because I don't like to back out once I've committed to something and because I wanted to do the ride, I comprommised and rode the shortest route, which was 24 miles.

For some reason, the Lancaster rally always seems to be very windy. Maybe the fact that it's held in early April is reason enough, and certainly it was reason enough for Turtle and I to jointly decide that today wouldn't be the best time for her to push her longest handcycling attempt to 24 miles. That was tough, because she was excited about it and had already sent in her registration fee; but in hindsight, I think it was the right choice. There's always next year.

During the ride and after, I saw a few things that made me go "hmm":
  • While helping to stage the riders to the proper areas for their chosen routes, I got "sirred" by an attractive woman. It's bad enough when it's some gum-cracking, cheer-leading creature at the Chick-fil-A® drive through, but this woman was old enough to be my prom date. But, as Turtle pointed out, at least she didn't "hon" me. Getting "sirred" makes me feel old and genderless but, from kids at least, displays a quality upbringing. The "hon" from anyone but an aunt, my mother, or my wife is just plain condescending.
  • An absolutely adorable adolescent dog—do baby Labs come in white?—sitting calmly by the side of the road with his head cocked, just watching all the cyclists ride by. No barking. No chasing. Just half smiling and enjoying the day.
  • During the ride home, the roadside sign that read, "Prison area: do not pick up hitchhikers." (Wonder why.)
  • The truly ugly little hybrid car with a pair of whip antennas mounted on its rear bumper. The antennae were half again as long as the car and made me think of the feelers on some sort of weird insect.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

title must read: Cycling brought to you by Berma Shave.

Still giggling over "hitch hikers". How about "Don't stop for strangers cause you'll get carjacked by a prison escapee, DUH!!"

Lou said...

Must have been that Southern Charm, suh...LOL

Anne said...

I'm all over the "sir" and "ma'am" thing. Makes you feel old though. I believe it's an outward sign of respect.

Tink said...

And Turtle was OK that you were stirred by someone else? Hmmm?

Hoop called me last Wednesday to ask if it was possible to be sued for sexual harassment at school. I didn't even ask.

Love the puppy imagery. Mine would have been tangling himself up in some spokes.

Foo said...

Tink: Sirred, not stirred. Ya scamp. And Turtle thinks it's funny, 'cause she's just a dewy young 'un and I'm, like, this old, leathery bit of jerky. Not like Sam Elliot (who rocks). More creepy old, like Willem Dafoe, Jürgen Prochnow, or Peter Strauss.

But... yanno. It works for me.

Dog-wise, we did have a few along the route who would've liked nothing better than to tear off a drumstick. Fortunately, the folks who live in the area are always given notice that there's going to be a bike ride, and the ones who don't curb their animals' enthusiasm are rare. I only got chased once, this year, and he backed off when I turned, blew a snot rocket at him, and yelled "GO HOME!!"

Thank the Lord for hurricane fences, though. I passed one house where the three large dogs were trying so hard to get at us that they nearly made julienne fries of themselves. If you don't get that image, perhaps it's for the best...

Andrew Fletcher said...

LOL. The prison sign is great. I wonder if picking up hitchhikers was common there?

The "sir" thing doesn't bother me that much. I actually do it a fair bit. It's the one's like "fella" and "hon" that get me fired up.

Post title idea: My Assos is killing me.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...