14 November, 2006

Whur y'all fruhm?

Gwynne got me again with her posting of a quiz about American English dialects. My result:

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop." [Not any more. I compromised on "soda". -Foo]

The Northeast

The Midland

Philadelphia

The South

Boston

The West

North Central

What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes

5 comments:

Foo said...

Feh. If you think your comment hurt my feelings, you've seriously underestimated my capacity for self loathing—of that self, at least.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm right where I'm supposed to be...Midland. Here's what it said:

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio."

Interesting because if I get excited, I have a very childlike voice. At least they got the region right.

Tink said...

I have a Midland accent too. Looks like you and I should get radio gigs Turtle. We could be "Turtle and Tink in the morning... But not too early morning. Tink get's grouchy."

Anne said...

I'm like Turtle and Tink.

Lou said...

Surprisingly, it rated me in the Inland North.
COnsidering I'm the area where they pahk the cah in the Hahvahd Yahd...LOL

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...