19 May, 2007

Ride report: Richardson Wild Ride (Richardson, TX)

For most of the early part of this year, I was focused on training and raising money for my MS 150 ride, but today Turtle and I took part in our first charity ride of the year.


The Richardson Wild Ride benefits the Richardson Regional Cancer Center and is held in conjunction with the Wildflower Arts and Music Festival each May. I rode in the rally two years ago, before I made the switch from my Trek 1500 road bike to the recumbent. That year, the weather was sunny and surprised a lot of us with a high temperature in the upper 90s. I went out fast with the long riders, bonked hard before the second rest stop, and barely managed to limp back to the finish for 40 miles. Still, what I'd seen of the event impressed me, and I was eager to see how things looked from the seat of my recumbent this year.

When we rolled out of bed at 5:20 this morning, I heard rain pounding on the roof. I groaned inwardly, because Turtle has a history of having to skip rides because of bad weather, and she was really looking forward to this one. But a quick check of the weather radar revealed that the rain was much lighter elsewhere and would likely pass through before the start of the ride. We continued our preparations, and by 6:30 the rain had stopped. At 8:00, when the ride started, the streets were still damp and puddly in spots, but we weren't getting rained on. And it was cool. Oh bliss!

Squirrel Bait—or as she has officially requested to be addressed, "Squirrelly Girl"—was there too, and we planned to start at the rear of the pack with Turtle so that we could ride out with her. Turtle was headed out to do the 16-mile route on her handcycle; SG and I would ride together as far as the second rest stop, which was the turnaround for the 40-mile route. I'd decide at that point whether to return with her or continue on the 64-mile route.

Starting at the back, we knew that we'd have to fight our way up through the slower riders, but by 15 miles the pack had thinned out a bit. When we go to rest stop 2, SG stuck to her plan and continued on the 40-mile route. I was feeling strong and headed into the hills to the east of Lake Lavon to bag my 5th metric century for the year.

At rest stop 3, I pulled in for a snack and a potty break, and I was pleased to see Mr. & Mrs P, a couple friends I'd met on a previous ride were standing next to their brand new, fire engine red Bacchetta Stradas. We rode on together, forming our own little pace line and having a ball.

See, one of the things about recumbents is that our ride rhythm is a bit different than wedgies. We tend to descend faster, while the wedgies are riding their brakes. Since we have to work harder on climbs, we prefer to fly down hills and use the momentum to reduce the amount of work we have to put into a following climb. So I often find myself penned in behind a glob of wedgies, losing all my momentum and then having to work my tail off on the following climb because the wedgies don't even start climbing until they absolutely have to.

It was quite relaxing to ride with a couple people whose rhythms and ability level were similar, so no one had to wait up for anyone else. And we got some strange looks from our fellow riders along the way, including a priceless moment during a climb when we passed a line of wedgies. On the way down the hill following the climb, MrsP rolled up next to me.

"Did you hear that?" she asked. I hadn't, so she explained. "I didn't get all of it, but one of the women in that group we just passed said something about us passing them, and one of the guys told her, 'Don't worry. They won't be able to keep it up for long.'"

They were right, of course. Once we got out of the rolling hills, we did ease the pace to 17 mph or so, but we never did see that group again. I guess they couldn't keep up our pace for long either.

When we arrived at the finish, we thought it would be neat to line up across the road, side by side, so the event photographer would get a shot of the three of us together. At least, until we discovered that there was no even photographer at the finish line this year. Ah well. We just consoled ourselves by sitting under a tree with Turtle, Sarah, and CliffyB while noshing on cold cheese pizza.

And the sun came out. It was a very good day and among the most fun of the rallies I've ridden during the past few years.

In terms of the ride organization itself, it's the about the best I've ever seen, from registration and packet pick up, to parking direction, to staging at the start. The rest stops are not as extravagant as some, but when you get to the finish, it's pizza and beverages galore. Traffic control on this ride is outstanding from beginning to end, with peace officers controlling most intersections and volunteer flagmen on some of the busier streets to make sure riders make needed lane changes in time. The only possible down side is that riders can become complacent and ride right through un-controlled intersections, assuming that they have right-of-way—but that's absolutely not the fault of the organizers. Another knock peculiar to Turtle's situation is that they hadn't provided a single handicap-accessible porta-john. She was pretty hot about that, but the ride director made it right, comping Turtle's ride fees for both this year and next year's ride, as well as giving his heartfelt promise that the oversight would not be repeated next year.

Thus making the Richardson Wild Ride one of the premier rallies in North Texas.

12 comments:

Lou said...

Sound like it was a great ride, Mike, despite the little noodges at the end.
Glad you were able to leave that other group in the dust - shows them not to muck with the great Foo!
And good for Turtle for making a point. It was nice of the head of the ride to do that for her -- and it also makes a huge point for those that are handicapped.
Hope you two have a nice quiet Sunday!

Gwynne said...

This makes me want to get my bike out and dust it off. :-)

Foo said...

Lou: Turtle's been a bit itchy to get back out there, what with having to sit on the sidelines and watch the bunch of us train for the MS 150. Her last rally outing was last June (or thereabouts), and she scared the both of us by getting a touch of heat exhaustion. Then, in the fall, it rained on ride day and kept her away from a couple other rallies. You can only imagine how frustrated she was yesterday morning when we thought she might get rained out again.

Meanwhile... she's making plans to do a marathon with one of our MS 150 team and Squirrelly Girl's husband, this coming December. But first we need to see if she can still get into her custom-built racing chair.

Gwynne: You'd have enjoyed it, I think. We'll leave a light on for ya!

Anonymous said...

Foo, good write-up of the Wild Ride. I was there and also did the 64-mile route. I saw you and Cheryl pull up to the start (not wanting to sound like a buffoon, I didn't shout out your name). I thought I would try something different this year and do the ride on my mountain bike. It was definitely a workout lugging a 30+ lb mountain bike around for 64 miles. I managed to do fine and even passed a few folks on road bikes along the way which, of course, garnered me some dirty looks. Funny, all the dirty looks came from men. All the women I passed smiled and said things like "Hey, you ride that mountain bike pretty good" or "Good job on the mountain bike. You're looking good". Must be a macho thing with the men. Whatever. I'm too old for that crap.

I was riding with the cacophonous French woman of PBA lore and her girlfriend. The three of us had a great time until the point they decided to drop me--otherwise known as Mile 10. Oh well, we had a lot of fun and it was all topped off at the end by a couple of slices of room-temperature cheese pizza with the consistency of silicone tub sealant. I'm not sure it gets much better than that.

Foo said...

I wish I'd known you were out there, yesterday. I guess if I'm not going to show up at DB, I should at least e-mail you about my plans, now that the charity ride season is getting into full swing.

I'd say you earned your spurs, doing a metric on your mountain bike. I hope you had smooth tires, at least. And I'm with you about all the roadie macho crap. I don't know why some of those characters don't seem capable of riding and smiling at the same time. Like I see folks like you and our favorite Frenchwoman doing so much of the time.

Anonymous said...

that business of no handicap accessible porta potty would frost me too. Esp. for such a ride as this. You are using some fun words here, "wedgies" I'm assuming you call them that cause the seat is wedged up in their crack?

Foo said...

Doozer: That's it exactly!

Anonymous said...

Foo, yes I did have smooth tires on my mountain bike. I had her outfitted with a set of 26 x 1.5" street tires inflated to a modest 80psi (sorry for the details, it's the engineer in me). That tire setup coupled with the mountain bike front suspension made for a very comfortable ride (chipseal?
what chipseal?) While my legs were complaining about having to haul 30 lbs of aluminum up numerous hills (that was not an easy course, by the way), my posterior was thankful for the compliant ride. In fact, I just may do this again on future rides where the roads are known to be rough. And since I could care less about average MPH, max heart rate, or kcals burned (I just get on my bike and ride it), it should make for a very leisurely and enjoyable ride.

The next organized ride I'm doing is the Mesquite Rodeo ride on 6/2. The same two lovely PBA women who accompanied me on the Wild Ride will also be doing this one. Maybe you and Ms Foo would like to join us.

http://www.rodeobikeride.org/

I've never done the Mesquite Rodeo ride before, but I hear good things about it and it gets rave reviews. Ought to be a good one.

http://www.bicycle-stuff.com/reviews/06_june/mesquite.htm

Allez said...

Have you done any of the weekend rides through Plano Cycle? I was also looking online at the PBA wesbite. You know if their rides are good? I need to get myself out there & meet other cyclists, especially closer to my town. So I can have others to ride with.

Anonymous said...

Foo's done rides with both the PBA and GDB, though mostly PBA because it's closer to where we live. He'll probably go out this weekend. I would probably put money on it, in fact. He likes his free time too.

wuhcxxdo. God bless me.

Jenn said...

hehe, I loved that the commenters on your lack of keeping up couldn't keep up with you. That's so high school of me, but Wimpy Wedgies, Batman, that is funny.

Mr. Coffee is using his bike now. (hehe) The one that costs more than my van. He wants clip in pedals. :)

I'm glad to hear you, Turtle, could go too. Darn them photogs aren't around when you need them.

Jenn said...

ps. GREAT story, sharing your ride with us.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...