30 May, 2007

Wherefore art thou, muse?

I remember now: I have this blog thingy where I used to post my internal dialogue for the... well, entertainment might be too charitable a word. Amusement, perhaps.

Around 3:30 this morning, I finally gave in to concerns about lawn care that had been milling around in my head and keeping me awake. I crept out of bed and went to my office to look up some information about thatch control and core aeration, but I ended up playing around on Flickr. It's fortunate that web sites don't literally collect dust, but I could tell that it had been a while since I'd been on that site. As if it weren't bad enough that I haven't really uploaded much of anything since Turtle's and my Caribbean cruise last year, I also had a couple buddy requests (or something like that) in my in box.

I didn't even know I had an in box on Flickr.

Anyway, I discovered a new "blog this" feature that allows you to, with the click of a button, add many of the photos on Flickr as a blog posting. Even more exciting, this actually does work with the new and super handy (here's a tissue, in case any of that sarcasm dripped on your shoes) Blogger Beta. I promptly blogged a couple photos I found particularly interesting so that you could enjoy them too.

That lasted about as long as it took for me to get to work, have a cup of coffee, and pause to wonder about the copyright implications of my actions. Sure enough, "The Jimmer's" photos were marked "All rights reserved", so despite the fact that he (or she) hadn't disabled my ability to use the "blog this" button, I felt my only correct options were to either take down the images from my blog, or go through the whole process of contacting the photographer to ask his permission to display his (or her) work.

Frankly, that's just too much effort to go through just for an image of a dilapidated shack with a TV with the screen shot out in the front yard. Even if my alternate title was going to be "The Presley Homestead".

Meanwhile

I've been trying to take Tink's recent challenge to heart and return to noticing all the strange little things going on in the world around me.
  • The beefy, early-middle-aged guy in the booth across from us at Chili's. The tribal armband tattoo was kind of cool. The spider web encircling the point of his elbow wasn't something I would have chosen—but then, part of the reason I don't have one is that I could never think of a design that represented something integral enough to Who I Am that I'd want to wear it for the rest of my life.

    Which brings me to the four-inch high "KISS" plastered across his bicep. Now, I can almost understand someone getting a tattoo of the Grateful Dead's iconic skull. For their fans, it's not just a band; it's a way of life. But KISS? Sure, I have a couple of their earlier albums (one within arm's reach), from before they got old and fat and couldn't carry off the whole rock-gods-in-makeup thing any more. But come on. Bands come and go.

    I bet the poor guy sees that tattoo in the mirror and wonders what he was thinking. Or worse, maybe he doesn't.

  • Speaking of rocking out, I actually got on my desktop computer at home the other day and rediscovered the pile of MP3s I have on it. It occurred to me that it might be nice to put together some driving music to listen to during my commutes, now that I have a CD player in the car. The result? Commuter Sampler - Vol. 1.

    You'd think that I'd use lots of soothing ambient music and drowsy Rachmaninov... stuff. Nope. It's all high octane stuff. Counterintuitively, it helps my mood during my commutes, perhaps because I'm so busy howling along with Queens of the Stone Age's "No One Knows" or Dwight Yoakum's "Fast As You" that I can't be bothered to get pissed off when the dozenth butthead cuts me off without signaling. Or maybe there just aren't that many people willing to cut off the insane guy while he's yelling at his windshield.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

I LOVE, and I mean LOVE Dwight Yoakum's rendition of Fast As You. It's even better in concert :o)

I bet the poor guy sees that tattoo in the mirror and wonders what he was thinking.


Keep It Simple Stupid?

Gwynne said...

Thatch control and core aeration?

You know who's laughing now, right? ;-)

As for the tattoo thing, I think I can feel a post coming on. There is something to be said against embellishing God's perfect creation. I'm not the one to say it, but I do have something to say. ;-)

Eric Siegmund said...

Hey, we saw Dwight in concert too, a few July 4ths ago. And Fast As You is one of my faves.

Anyway, about that tattoo thing. The only problem with not having one, and with being a part of a rapidly shrinking population of unmarked Bills (and Janes), is that no one knows that you don't have a tattoo. At least, no one outside of your nudist colony buds. Not that I have any of them, mind you. Just sayin'.

Will there ever be a time when flashing a bicep with nothing but skin on it will be a mark of 'tude?

Lou said...

Hopefully we will see those cruise pics one day...
And the other stuff definitely was random...
and speaking of being random...hi, turtle!

Foo said...

Emma: "Fast As You" is my #1 favorite karaoke song, which isn't interesting in itself. The fact that I can get up and sing that, and the victims still get into it only goes to show that it's a very popular tune.

Gwynne: I'm guessing you're the one laughing? I'm not sure why, though—unless... are you one of those people who pave their yards and cover them with astroturf?

Regarding the tats, the only design I ever gave any serious consideration to is a Celtic cross.

Eric: Unmarked Bills (and Janes)...

Well done, my friend. =)

Lou: If you'll follow my Flickr widget to the photo page, you'll find that I've had some of the better cruise pics posted there for quite some time. Enjoy!

Gwynne said...

...are you one of those people who pave their yards and cover them with astroturf?

I see now that my comment came out all wrong. No, I'm not the one flaunting astroturf on my "lawn." Actually, my lawn is mostly thatch. But as long as it is green, I don't spend much time thinking about it. I was laughing because that is what I do when I hear that someone wakes up at 3:30 in the morning to do research on "thatch control and core aeration." That is all. ;-)

Tink said...

Great colorful details. Hoop's been on a kick of pointing them out to me lately too. Like the goat we saw wearing a helmet. Apparently he's the "slow" one of the herd. And the rainbow umbrellas at the beach. We were wondering if it was a signal for something? Maybe a rainbow is just a rainbow sometimes.

Foo said...

Gwynne: I can see how you would find my losing sleep over a patch of grass to be funny. I probably used to, but there's a lot of pressure when you're at the mercy of a homeowners' association—especially one that somehow ended up with a fascist on the landscaping committee. I couldn't believe it... this woman had a meltdown at the last homeowners' meeting because a yard two blocks away from her had too many weeds for her liking.

"Ehm... the owner died," someone meekly pointed out. "The family lives in Little Rock. It must be hard trying to keep the place up."

"I know all about that," the weed woman steamed on. "Someone needs to come live in that house and keep the lawn up."

God help us all.

Tink: An old goat wearing a helmet, you say? You guys been spying on me again?

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...